hung tree

/ hung tree #11  
I watched a guy even crazier than that once . He had his tractor bogged to the axles in a paddock . He climbed a big tree and hooked a chain to it and then to the tractor drawbar . He then belly cut the tree on the opposite side and fell it , chain snapped tight and out come the tractor :eek: .

/ hung tree #12  
Next time I am home I will get a picture of this friggin widow maker we have up in a tree. We lost a massive maple, When it went down it slammed into another massive. Up at the tippy top is a limb, at least 12" thick, probably more. And it is hung up. Now I am afraid to go near the tree, and I keep people away from that side.

I was hoping the wind would get it this year, but from what I hear it is still hanging a hundred feet up in the air.

/ hung tree #13  
I have through a rope, strap over the tree looped the ends and pulled back with tractor. I would pull the easy side though. I use A LOT of strap or rope though. I had a upper tree caught in another this past summer. The trick for me was the "right" angle. A small winch and bunch of straps, and a snatch block go a long way!

Disclaimer: I am not "joe logger" by all means! If you are in doubt hire someone!

Dan

/ hung tree #14  
Next time I am home I will get a picture of this friggin widow maker we have up in a tree. We lost a massive maple, When it went down it slammed into another massive. Up at the tippy top is a limb, at least 12" thick, probably more. And it is hung up. Now I am afraid to go near the tree, and I keep people away from that side.

I was hoping the wind would get it this year, but from what I hear it is still hanging a hundred feet up in the air.

I got a poplar like that. The problem is cutting the trunk and she will snap back.

Dan

/ hung tree #15  
I watched a guy even crazier than that once . He had his tractor bogged to the axles in a paddock . He climbed a big tree and hooked a chain to it and then to the tractor drawbar . He then belly cut the tree on the opposite side and fell it , chain snapped tight and out come the tractor :eek: .

Creative, but crazy!!

Dan

/ hung tree #16  
JimmyJ the good Lord has just been watching over you if you haven't had any barber chair on you yet. The tree is tensioned the way it is now. It is hard to see from that photo if all of the tension is at the top of the tree where it is hung up forcing the tension to go in an arc under the tree. Or if the root ball is holding most of the weight and the tension is on the topside of a the tree. Plunge cutting might work to decrease the barber chair scenario. What I have done in the past is wrapped a strong cable around the base below the cut. Then taken the cable above where you are going to cut. And then used cable clamps to make a very short leash on the tree. If it tries to spring up or any direction the short leash on the cable should stop it.
Another method we use is sling shot a line over the tree as high as you can. Then pull a large rope or cable up and over. Bring the end back around to make a loop. Attach your rope or cable end to people or a tractor and see if you can pull it out of the branches. Just don't wrap the rope around your wrist if you use people to pull it.. Rope burn hurts like heck! :eek:
Looking closer at the picture it looks like it is resting on the stump maybe with a little hinge wood left. If you can get your cable up next to the break. Wrap the cable around that and pull with the tractor from a good distance. That should remove it's resting point and maybe let the butt come down. Chances are the top will still be hung.

/ hung tree #19  
JimmyJ the good Lord has just been watching over you if you haven't had any barber chair on you yet. The tree is tensioned the way it is now. It is hard to see from that photo if all of the tension is at the top of the tree where it is hung up forcing the tension to go in an arc under the tree. Or if the root ball is holding most of the weight and the tension is on the topside of a the tree. Plunge cutting might work to decrease the barber chair scenario. What I have done in the past is wrapped a strong cable around the base below the cut. Then taken the cable above where you are going to cut. And then used cable clamps to make a very short leash on the tree. If it tries to spring up or any direction the short leash on the cable should stop it.
Another method we use is sling shot a line over the tree as high as you can. Then pull a large rope or cable up and over. Bring the end back around to make a loop. Attach your rope or cable end to people or a tractor and see if you can pull it out of the branches. Just don't wrap the rope around your wrist if you use people to pull it.. Rope burn hurts like heck! :eek:
Looking closer at the picture it looks like it is resting on the stump maybe with a little hinge wood left. If you can get your cable up next to the break. Wrap the cable around that and pull with the tractor from a good distance. That should remove it's resting point and maybe let the butt come down. Chances are the top will still be hung.

Based on the avitar this guy has a bunch more experience than me, but my first move would be as he's instructed. I'd get a rope or cable around as high as I can and then pull sideways out of the branches, I've done this a number of times and seems by far the safest. I've not had one so stuck that I could not get out.

Another thought might be cutting down the tree it is hung in?

End of day, safety first, these lumber guys will tell you that there is a bunch of stuff that can go wrong with trees, this is like high tension stuff, best leave the tricky stuff to the pros.

Joel

/ hung tree #20  
Thanks JoelD. It is hard to tell in my Avitar there but I am standing on the top of a tree about 40' above ground. That put me level with a guy standing on a hill that took the picture.
As you said Safety first. That tree might be an easy cut. But if you aren't prepared for the unexpected, sometimes even if you are. Stuff happens quickly.