hung tree

/ hung tree #1  

deereman64

Silver Member
I have this hung tree in my yard. It has been there for some time ,even though it looks precarious. I think cutting the stump would be too dangerous and I have tried pulling it off with the tractor but so far no luck. Any idea?

Attachments

• P1010028.JPG
    P1010028.JPG
    210.5 KB · Views: 847
   / hung tree #2  
Agreed, the tree could jack knife towards you when you cut the stump at ground level.
Have you thought of preventing that by keeping tension on it with the tractor while holding the saw on the other end of the stump ?

/ hung tree #3  
I had the same type of situation out at the Lake. The neighbour told me to notch the hung trees and wait a few days. It worked perfectly.:D

/ hung tree #5  
Can't really tell if tree free from stump,if so how about fasten long chain near base of tree to 5or10 ton come along...work from safe distance.

/ hung tree #7  
I have this hung tree in my yard. It has been there for some time ,even though it looks precarious. I think cutting the stump would be too dangerous and I have tried pulling it off with the tractor but so far no luck. Any idea?

I have had trees in the same shape.

If you cut it at the bottom(it will snap back at you) but probably won't fall because it is hung in the other tree. I have cut them like that, and when i started cutting the tree it split and jumped backwards real quick, and on another one it went sideways.(they are real dangerous like this and have a lot of pressure on them) I have had as many as 3 at a time on each other.

I know it would be hard, but if you could try and get a strap up towards the top and use a red devil or tractor and try to pull it that way without cutting it, but have plenty of slack so it won't fall on you.

/ hung tree #8  
Found a picture of one the hung trees. there were about four more in this bunch. After notching and waiting for a few days they fell down. I could not access the area with the tractor with the trees hung up.:D

Attachments

• logging d.JPG
    logging d.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 1,033
   / hung tree #9  
I have a similiar issue but mine is on a bank...

My plan is to use a winch on a snatch block with a y cable and chain setup..

Chain on the base where the tree is resting on the stump and a chain about where you have the Y..
A steel cable connecting the 2 chains with a pull loop set 2/3 towards the Y..

the snatch block to the winch will be at a 45 degree angle..

This will make the tree pivot on the stump slightly as it pulls it foward to drop it off....

Once I get the tree off the stump, I'll use another chain going to the tractor to pull it up the bank so it can begin the trees final journey to the ash bucket....
In your case some creative thinking with a winch, some chains and a snatch block may really help out...

thoughts?

J

/ hung tree #10  
Geez guys, am I nuts? I cut trees like this all the time. It's easy. Just notch the trunk and back cut until she starts to move and run like heck. Have a clear path and a spotter who taps you on the shoulder the minute the tree starts to move. I haven't ever had one "barber chair" or snap off suddenly. If the tree is rotten I would not do it though in favour of rolling the top off with a long chain and snatch block. Also, don't do it if there is any chance of branches breaking off or springing back.

Am I reckless? It seems so easy to do. Comments? I've been doing this for 20 years.