Boy killed in tree cutting accident

/ Boy killed in tree cutting accident #1  

jimmyj

Elite Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers 616 (Two) and a Kioti CK30 HST with loader and backhoe
In this tragic story a man was burning brush and cutting down trees or at least a tree at the same time. He told his son and another kid to sit in his truck far away while he dropped a tree. His young boy saw the fire spread from the brushpile to the grass and got out of the truck to walk to his dad to tell him.

The father dropped the tree on the boy.

Funeral set for Hastings boy killed by tree cut down by father - Grand Rapids News - The Latest News, Blogs, Photos & Videos MLive.com

Dear God, I can't imagine. Don't have the kids around even if you think you have safe precautions in place. It is just not worth it.

/ Boy killed in tree cutting accident #2  
That's a very tragic accident. It wasn't the father's fault (in my opnion), but he'll probably always wonder what he should have done to prevent such a thing from happening. He certainly has my sympathy. As you said, most of us can't even imagine how bad that would be.

/ Boy killed in tree cutting accident #3  
I know this is hijacking the thread and I'm sorry but this hit too close to home.
My sympathies to the family. As a father who has lost his son to an accident (motorcycle different state) I can tell you that you will always wonder if there was anything that you could have done. In my case my son was here that prior weekend and was heading back to his unit. He and his friend went out for a ride in the evening and that's when it happened. The only thing worse is like stated in the OP's post is "watching" it happen. That's were I feel even more pain thinking out Steven's friend who was riding behind him.

/ Boy killed in tree cutting accident #4  
Very Very SAD,

/ Boy killed in tree cutting accident #5  
Thanks for sharing, each time I read these stories I'm very appreciative of my own good fortune and thankfull that those affected have posted so that others, like me, continue to be mindful of risk. I am confident there are many who've read such posts and have benefited.

Joel

/ Boy killed in tree cutting accident
You have my sympathy RWolf. I know I speak for many others here also.

/ Boy killed in tree cutting accident #7  
Horrible accident. This stuff all of us here do is so dangerous we can forget sometimes. This is a painful reminder. I was justaking trees down at a rental property 2 days ago. I was with my wife while the children were in school. My heart goes out to all those who hae lost a child. I truly can;t imagine...but I can still sympathize.

/ Boy killed in tree cutting accident #8  
i'm glad people post this stuff here.......it always seems to be in a way that you wouldn't dream up......i mean, he did more than many would do and told them to sit in a safe place while he did the work he needed to do......

man, you just never know.....

that's horrible.......i couldn't imagine the property that i so dearly love and want the kids to grow up and love only to lose one of them that way

/ Boy killed in tree cutting accident #9  
These stories are always painful. I can't watch a movie where a child dies. I am not an overly sentimental person, but harm to a child always twist smy guts

This story is bad because the father took what I consider appropriate actions. And the child only disobeyed because he saw a risk. Obviously hard to tell from the article, but looks like good parent and good kid. Just makes it more sad.

/ Boy killed in tree cutting accident #10  
The loss of a child is the hardest thing a parent will ever go through. When my youngest brother was killed on his motorcycle I was the one who had to tell my dad the news. I had just left his house when I got the call and had to turn around. It was a long 10 minute drive back to his house trying to figure out how to tell him and my step mother who has also lost 2 sons to accidents.

Our high school ag teacher who I have been good friends with for 10 years lost his 21 year old son in a auto accident just 2 weeks ago.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family.