Does Your Propane Tank Need Someone Looking Out For It ?

/ Does Your Propane Tank Need Someone Looking Out For It ? #21  
AW nuts I am going to have to buy a pick up so I can tansport my OA tanks upright and the propane tanks in open air. This is going to be a harder sell than the tractor.
Actually I always had a pick up , for 20 years. Then I got married. She gets a new car everyonce in a while and I get the old one till she gets another new one. I cannot figuire out how to get out of this with fiscal responsibility.

/ Does Your Propane Tank Need Someone Looking Out For It ? #22  
AW nuts I am going to have to buy a pick up so I can tansport my OA tanks upright and the propane tanks in open air. This is going to be a harder sell than the tractor.
Actually I always had a pick up , for 20 years. Then I got married. She gets a new car everyonce in a while and I get the old one till she gets another new one. I cannot figuire out how to get out of this with fiscal responsibility.

Just put a trailer hitch on the car and buy a trailer.;) It's cheaper than buying a truck,

/ Does Your Propane Tank Need Someone Looking Out For It ? #23  
She gets a new car every once in a while and I get the old one till she gets another new one. I cannot figure out how to get out of this with fiscal responsibility.
Next time, she needs a new truck instead.

/ Does Your Propane Tank Need Someone Looking Out For It ? #24  

Good Mornin Bob,
Ha I know the feeling well ! :) My wife Kathleen has had two new vehicles in the 10 yr timespan that Ive had my PU, and she is slated to get another new one the end of this year ! :p Thats OK I like the old PU just fine ! ;)

/ Does Your Propane Tank Need Someone Looking Out For It ? #25  
I have a trailer. It is not the same as a pickup.

/ Does Your Propane Tank Need Someone Looking Out For It ? #26  
I deal with propane emergencies quite often. Relief valves tend to be the biggest culprit. The new OPD (overpressure device) has helped lesson the issues we used to deal with. Still, a full tank sitting on a black truck liner or in a closed car in the sun will get some hot real quick. When it does, the relief valve lets loose and everyone goes into hyperventilate mode.:eek:

Makes for a fun scene when we get there.:D

/ Does Your Propane Tank Need Someone Looking Out For It ? #27  
tig a reciever hitch holder for a lp tank sounds like you must have drove a pinto in the 70's. do we really want to relive that!

/ Does Your Propane Tank Need Someone Looking Out For It ? #28  
Hi! Does anyone else have a propane\gas company that refuses to allow them to transport the 100# propane tanks in their pickup? Southern States refuses to allow their average homeowner customers to bring in their own tank and have it refilled and bring it home themselves. They said Kentucky law dictates that transport of a full tank of propane on a non-commercial vehicle in this state is left at the discretion of the fuel supplier to meet safety. Unfortunately those like me with a 100LB personally-owned cylinder are unable to get their tanks filled themselves. Southern States will fill the tank, but then charge you $50 for them to deliver your filled-tank to your home using their fleet vehicle.

My neighbor is a welder and wonder if he can build me a mount\cage that stands about 2/3rds of the length of a 100# tank out of 1" square tubing that can be bolted down to the bed of my pickup (when needed). Does anyone else live in a state that has propane canister restrictions like Kentucky? The old-timer at Southern States told me a terrible accident happened when one of these cylinders flipped over of the side of someone's pickup in an intersection and since then the gas companies personally judge on whether your vehicle is adept at handling these larger tanks or not. Do you think a 3-sided type cage bolted to the bed of my truck would work to make my vehicle a safe transport vehicle for 100# cylinders?

/ Does Your Propane Tank Need Someone Looking Out For It ? #29  
sounds like a money making scam to me. they can't get you for tank rental so they charge you for a loophole in the current law.

around here, titan does the same thing. they charge you a "hook up" fee since they claim you can't legally unhook the tank from your home line and then reconnect it yourself. fee? yep, 50 bucks.

i understand that a compression fitting on a copper line can leak if you bend it the wrong way when you are hooking up a tank, but please.... most folks who want to fuss with owning their own tanks know the basics about leak testing a line with a little soapy water or even pressure testing it with a guage and inert gas.

i would shop elsewhere. usually, you can find a company within reasonable driving distance who is more interested in your business.

amp

/ Does Your Propane Tank Need Someone Looking Out For It ? #30  
Thanks ampsucker. I smelled something (and it wasn't the propane either). They pulled this on me last fall.. ended up costing me over $400 to fill the tank and have it delivered (plus pigtail copper & regulator outside and hookup). I had just bought the tank at Lowes for $119 and drove it over to the place for a fill and got slapped with that spiel.

In a way it probably worked out for the best because I was attempting to get the brand new (yet never used for 3 years) fireplace in our home to operate for the first time and had the old dude sold me the gas and let me take it home myself I would have found (or dangerously not found) that the burner appliance in the house had a leak. I could have blown my house to kingdom come. Instead, by coming home with the gas he charged for the hookup, charged the delivery and found that the burner appliance had a leak somewhere and offered to look at it at the shop and see if he could service it and find the leak (above and beyond what he was there to do). The contractor that built the fireplace used iron pipes without a flexible coupling for the whole rig, so the only way to remove the burner was tediously cutting the pipe with a hacksaw in the tiny space I had to work with. I got it out and brought it to the guy. The guy found the leak in the burner appliance, fixed it and was back out the next weekend to hook it all together and test for leaks.

So I am only faced with how to get a refill for my 100# tank without incurring a $50 delivery charge. The gas lasted all last winter and I used it quite generously, but have no idea how much fuel is left before it is empty. My neighbor is very interested in putting his welding skills to use, so we may end up building a brace\cage\mount for my truck anyhow. I'll check with other local propane fillers and see if they require this mount anyhow.