Hydraulic fluid injury

/ Hydraulic fluid injury #1  

J_J

Super Star Member
Tractor
Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST
Even leather gloves could not prevent this. Man was using hydraulic tool, and the line burst at the crimp line.

Attachments

• injury.jpg
    injury.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 14,544
   / Hydraulic fluid injury #2  
Now that hurts just to look at. Imagine trying to flush that wound out.

/ Hydraulic fluid injury #3  
Yeeeikes!:eek::eek:

Gosh, I always thought a glove and rag were safe. What would have had to do to be safe JJ?

/ Hydraulic fluid injury
Yeeeikes!:eek::eek:

Gosh, I always thought a glove and rag were safe. What would have had to do to be safe JJ?

There is really no way to protect your self from something like this. The only prevention I can think of is to inspect fittings and hoses for wear and tear. Absolutely, do not risk your eyes without protection to look at something close that is pressurized. Some of the guys on the forum have been sprayed with hydraulic fluid from burst pipes or hoses. If it get under the skin, in your eyes or ingested, that is not a good thing. Used fluid also probably has some chemicals that have carcinogens mixed in .

/ Hydraulic fluid injury #5  
Chain-mail gloves over the leather ones.

/ Hydraulic fluid injury #6  
To be precise, sprayed hydraulic fluid can inject, and be an amputation situation... not something to mess around with.

I wear welders gloves as my tractor gloves (cheapie Harbor Freight ones - one of the few things there worth owning... ). I did have a hose blow from a kink on my TnT, which if I'd been by it would have injured me severely at BEST - it trashed the sheet metal on the back of the tractor

/ Hydraulic fluid injury #8  
Looks like that picture was taken in the morgue. I know that hydraulic fluid injected can kill.

/ Hydraulic fluid injury
I am thinking that a lot of that damage is tissue that was saturated with hyd oil, and had to be removed. They thought they would have to amputate, but I guess they saved what they could. . He had 5 operations.

/ Hydraulic fluid injury #10  
If he didn't get amputated, he's darn lucky.

Thanks for the reminder - it's easy to lose respect for the stuff when you are around it a lot