workshop safety

/ workshop safety #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
I have been setting up my workshop ( had most of it still packed up since a move last year ), and went over to a friends house, and noticed that none of his 'bench mounted' devices were bench mounted... Everything was just sitting there... sanders, grinders, drill press, etc...yikes.

I know some may not want to go to the trouble to mount their equipment, but you don't want a drill press to vibrate off the table, and wrap you up in it.

Speaking of drill presses.. to all those women and men out there with long hair; When i was in high school, a girl was using a drill press, and did not have her hair contained.. and it got caught... and she had to have her scalp re-attatched 2 weeks before graduation...

Soundguy

/ workshop safety #2  
You're unpacking your shop and I'm packing mine up /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif

My benchtop drill press became a floor model when I made a permanent cabinet to hold it up at the right height. Also gave me storage space for the drill press accessories.

My other bench top machines typically get C-Clamped to my bench when I'm using them. I keep a couple of clamps stuck on my bench leg just for that purpose /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ workshop safety #3  
<font color=blue>"....and noticed that none of his 'bench mounted' devices were bench mounted... Everything was just sitting there... sanders, grinders, drill press, etc...yikes."</font color=blue>

YIKES is right! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif And your friend actually uses those tools that way? I hope, as a friend, you pointed out the error of his ways.

I had a friend who had built his workshop a few years ago. I was over one day shooting the breeze while he was fooling around at the workbench. He had something in his vice that was mounted on the corner of his bench. while he was working on it, the vice suddenly broke loose and fell, smashing his right foot. Turns out, he had attached the vice to only the 1/2" plywood top of the bench, and the bolts pulled right out.

After seeing that happen, when I built my own work bench a few months later, I sistered two 2X4's together and bolted them to the underside of the front edge of my work bench. You can't see them at all, but I have my vice, grinder, and drill press all bolted through my "little" beam. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ workshop safety #4  
Another little tip about drill presses: this is one place where you don't want to be using gloves.

/ workshop safety
I do something similar. I bolt/attatch my benchtop devices to a short plank of wood that sticks out about 4" on either side, and then I use a couple 'c' clamps as you do, to hold down the impliment.

Works good, and is better than not having it mounted at all.

Sorry to here that you are having to pack up your shop.

Soundguy

<font color=blue>"My other bench top machines typically get C-Clamped to my bench when I'm using them. I keep a couple of clamps stuck on my bench leg just for that purpose "

/ workshop safety
I did just that... I said' looks like this drill press has been here a while ( as evidenced by the discoloration in the table ).. is this where you are going to keep it? - yes- and I started lag bolting it down on the spot while he continued on another project...

This is the same guy that will have his daughter drive his tractor, dragging a chain harrow, and he will ballance out on the tube rail of the chain harrow and hold on two two ropes tied to the rops ( water ski style ) just so that the harrow will 'bite' a little more... I utterly can't believe it...

Soundguy

<font color=blue>"YIKES is right! And your friend actually uses those tools that way? I hope, as a friend, you pointed out the error of his "

/ workshop safety #7  
Some folks just like to live dangerously./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif I don't even use lag bolts; don't trust them enough. I have a vise, bench grinder, drill press, belt sander, and arbor press; all securely bolted to the benchs with bolts, nuts, and washers.

/ workshop safety #8  
Yes, some folks do love to live dangerously, like anyone who likes to show off their tractor/chainsaw/chipper/whatever after a few beers. I don't open a beer until everything is shut down for the day, my tractor and lawn mower included.

/ workshop safety #9  
All the tools that I bought are bolted to something or I clamp them down when in use. I built wooden stands for almost everything. Its way to dangerous to take a chance that these benchtop tools will stay in place. The fact that the tools are expensive was reason for me to make sure that they don't end up on the floor. The safety factor is even a bigger reason. Just my $.02.