Hearing protection

/ Hearing protection #1  

pennwalk

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 186D
I was bushhogging up a grassy area beside the field and I realized I had forgotten my ear plugs. I'm not sure if they are necessary but I already have some hearing loss so I use the ear plugs as often as I can remember them./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif I discovered that I could hear the hog and the engine a lot better and that I could use the power shift to keep the rig mowing more smoothly. Whenever I would get into thicker grass I could hear the Yanny start to slow down and I could drop down to a lower gear. Really worked well. Now I have to see if I pay attention if I can hear it happen with the plugs in. The hearing loss is a pain. whenever it is quiet my brain fills in for the loss with a wispering static like an untuned radio. But you can't fight with your brAin it has a mind of it's own./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Chris

/ Hearing protection #2  
Chris, I can't imagine running my 2000 wearing earplugs and missing out on all those wonderful sounds. I can immediately hear any change in rpm's or tell if a bolt, screw, or pin is coming loose by change in sounds. I even recently snagged a rear tire valve and heard air escaping in time to get back to the garage before it went flat. Also I am reminded of the posts that talked about the tractor "pinging", and after extensive questioning, that was "knocking" with earplugs on.

/ Hearing protection #3  
You probably have read the Pro-Ears thread, if not this would be a great source for protection and ability to hear what is happening outside.
PJ

/ Hearing protection #4  
Once you hearing loss occurs it is gone for good. That is a very high price to pay to listen to certain noises during tractor operations.

I don't know much about them, but I guess that one of those mechanical hearing devices to replace the natural hearing probably allows adjustments so that you can hear different frequencies such as the tractor engine and rotary mower.

As for me, my career (pilot) ends when my hearing loss approaches a certain point. Since I like operating machinery (airplanes and tractors) and I like the income, I choose to wear hearing protection both in the airplane and on the tractor. I'm suprised that airlines don't offer the ear plugs for their passengers.

Kelvin

/ Hearing protection #5  
I carry ear plugs (foam type) when I fly commercial just to muffle the usually obnoxiously loud PA system (yeah, yeah - make sure everybody hears the message). Often it is so loud no-one can understand it, which is counter productive to the intent. When the pilot comes on the PA, he is usually pretty quiet compared to the attendants. I try to remember to carry ear plugs when attending anything where loud speakers are set up (bands, etc) as the volume levels are set extremely high.

I also wear ear plugs (too hot for me to wear muffs) when tractoring if more than a few minutes. My 4300 diesel is border line for wanting them in, but they don't block out all the sound.

/ Hearing protection #6  
There's a small plastic box on my tractor key chain (there when I bought the tractor), that I keep foam plugs in - it was originally for a set of ear plugs. Now to find a place for the safety glasses, and gloves. And tools. And water.

/ Hearing protection #7  
I used zip ties to mount a car type cup holder to one of the uprights on my rops... works great.

Soundguy

<font color=blue> Now to find a place for the safety glasses, and gloves. And tools. And water.