Kubota L4610 rollovers

/ Kubota L4610 rollovers #1  

paula57

My husband just bought a new Kubota L4610 front loader. And the very first time he used it, less than half full with dirt, very slight incline, the back wheels lifted right off the ground! He is extremely discouraged and does not know what to do. We read about ballusts and reversing wheels, but isn't this dangerous? why can't the machine do what it is intended to do? Is there any recourse? can we get our money back?

/ Kubota L4610 rollovers #2  
Hello Paula,

You can’t expect to learn it all in one week. There are a number of do’s and don’ts your husband must understand before he goes any further…if he doesn’t… he may not have any second chances and you may not have a husband…

I pray both you and your husband, will please take a few hours and read this Safety Post.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=safety&Number=31618&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=all>Tractor Safety Tips and Proper Loader Usage and Ballast Methods…</A>

You can also do a search on TBN for ballast, loaded tires, loader safety, etc.

Only the operator of the tractor can make it extremely safe or deadly dangerous…

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ Kubota L4610 rollovers #3  
It is doing what it is intended to do. A FEL loaded with whatever adds weight out in front that must be counterbalanced with weight on the rear. You can add ballast to the tires or get a counterweight to pick up with the 3 point when you will be using the FEL.

I leave my rear grader blade on for counterweight. Others leave on different implements or make a weight.

/ Kubota L4610 rollovers #4  
Your best bet is to get your back tires filled (ballested or loaded) with liquid. The current liquids of choice are either windshield washer fluid, or beet juice. The windshield fluid is cheaper, but adds less weight than the beet juice. The extra weight in the tires will counter balance the weight of the material in the bucket. It will also improve traction. My dealer fills the rear tires in all the tractors he sells with a front end loader, at no extra charge, for the very reason you mentioned. It is also a good idea to put a heavy attachment such as a box blade, or a weight or ballast box on the 3 point hitch when doing loader work. You should also keep the loader bucket as close to the ground as possible when it is full. This is pretty much standard on all tractors with front end loaders. I hope all this helps.

/ Kubota L4610 rollovers #5  
Paula -

When I first started looking at tractors, I was surprised to find out that the loader wasn't an integral part of the machine. Guess the only ones that ever caught my attention up to that point were the ones with loaders on them.
crazy.gif

The point is that the loader is indeed an add-on, and part of the complete installation and prep is to make sure the weight distribution is dealt with, as others have already pointed out here. If you bought new, you should have received a separate manual for the tractor and the loader.

I've attached a relevant excerpt from the loader manual that came with mine. It's from the section labelled, "PRE-OPERATION INSTRUCTIONS".

This was just the beginning of my now on-going education about tractors.
wink.gif

Attachments

• 34-160461-LoaderBallastInstruct.gif
    34-160461-LoaderBallastInstruct.gif
    66.2 KB · Views: 419
   / Kubota L4610 rollovers #6  
I would echo John Miller's advice and pleading, read all you can and learn by other people's experiences before you have one any more you don't want.

If the dealer did not recommend you have the rear tires loaded when you purchased the tractor with a loader he should be scolded. The tractor needs rear weight to compensate for the weight you want to carry in the front.

The dealer I purchased my tractor from will not let one go off the lot with a loader and not have the rear tires loaded with liquid. I also have a 450+ pound immplement on the 3PH.

You have a very nice tractor there, learn how to use it properly and safetly it will do a lot for you.

Randy

/ Kubota L4610 rollovers #7  
I'm not going to add anything to the safety aspect. John and the others did an excellent job!

Well, I will add two things: IF YOU'RE WORKING AROUND THE PTO, HAVE THE TRACTOR KEY <font color=red>IN YOUR POCKET!!!! WEAR YOUR SEATBELT AT ALL TIMES!!!</font color=red>

But there's nothing to be discouraged about!! You and hubby will be on a learning curve that will take several months. Everyone who frequents this BBS is going through what you're going through now

/ Kubota L4610 rollovers #8  
Paula57,

Welcome to TBN!

- You need to fill the rear tires with ballast as others have said.
- Get a box blade or some other heavy implement on the three point hitch.

Those two things will solve your problem. If the dealer sold you a
a tractor or FEL and did not mention filling your tires or putting
something on your hitch they need to be given an earful....

Have your hubby and yourself read what John Miller posted. I would
encourage you and your hubby to read EVERY note in the safety
forum. The actual accidents will help you understand what your
tractor can and cannot do.

Read your manual. They have lots of warnings in the manuals.
Some of them sound really dumb but realize that the warning in
the book or on a sticker on the tractor was put there because some
one got killed or injured doing just what the warning is about.....

Your Kubota can do a heck of a lot of work. It can also kill or
injure in split second. Dont be scared of it but do respect the
equipment.

Have you played, errr, worked on the tractor yet? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Welcome,
Dan McCarty

/ Kubota L4610 rollovers #9  
GET a heavy duty boxblade, about 900lbs for the L4610. Besides being extra durable, you can't beat it for manuverability, strength and superior ballsat. Mine weighs 1200lbs. With that much weight, 40" or so to the rear of the wheels, it offers some great ballast for a fully loaded bucket even on inclines.

RULE 1. CARRY YOUR LOAD LOW!!! IF YOUR HUSBAND HAD BEEN, IT WOULD TIP FORWARD (NOT ROLL) ONLY UNTIL THE BUCKET TOUCHED THE GROUND.

RULE 2. WHEN YOUR DRIVING YOUR TRACTOR WITH A LOAD IN THE FRONT BUCKET, INCLINE OR NOT, HAVE YOUR RIGHT HAND ON THE LOADER CONTROL AND BE READY TO PUSH THE STICK FORWARD AND DROP THE BUCKET, WITH A LOAD IT WILL DROP RIGHT NOW. DOING SO WILL PLACE THE CENTER OF GRAVITY BACK AND PUT THE REAR END ON THE GROUND. I have done it so many times its second nature to me, practice it, panic will may you do strange things.

I'm also suprised the dealer didn't get all this information to you when you bought the tractor. If you are ever working without an implement on the back, not only had you better have ballasted tires, but even then be very careful, hand ready at the loader control ready to drop the bucket. Don't fill the bucket up full either, especially if on a incline. RaT...

/ Kubota L4610 rollovers #10  
Paula57, Let me say soemthing your being overly- worried. I'm that tractor is not intended to be a loader.
It is a mulit-purpose tractor so somethings may not be up to your 'specs' but that sound quite normal with me.

WITH MY RFM I CAN POP WHEELIES WITH IT OVER BUMPS

GET BALLAST!!!