Battery

/ Battery #11  
Does your vehicle automatically turn on headlamps when you start it? is there a dial control that you can flip from auto to manual..?

soundguy

/ Battery #12  
You car screwed up! :eek: You need to go back to your dealer and find out what the proper sequences are to turn on and off the lights, etc. Do you have a remote? If you turn your headlights on after you've shut off the key then they will stay on, and killl your battery. Otherwise try pushing the lock button on the driver's door and then shutting it and the lights will turn off automatically- if they don't push the remote's lock button twice and you lights should immediately go out- if not, you car screwed up!
Either way draining and discharging your battery constantly will shorten its life and may leave you stranded when it finally dies when you are no where near a charger or a jump source.

Post back results.

/ Battery #13  
Just the charger cycling on and off can produce a spark at the charger but a poor connection at the battery is more likely to be the cause, especially if the post is corroded or the charger clips a little rusty. The charger cycles but the resulting spark is at the battery post...

/ Battery #14  
I looked at the SUV. This is the wifey's car not mine. :eek:

There is a control that turns off the head lights. But unlike all of the vehicles I have had over the last two decades no buzzer sounds if the headlights are left on and the driver exits the car. The lights are turned off if you LOCK the car doors which last time I tried could only be done with the key fob. :rolleyes: Unlike my Ford. Where we live we don't need to lock the car so we don't always do it. Well we do try to lock the doors to turn off the headlights. The wifey likes to leave the headlights ON when driving. Why she does not just turn them on when she gets in the car I don't know.....

And I'm not going there....:rolleyes::eek::D

Why the SUV does not buzz when the headlights are left on is the big question. Wifey thinks this is somehow configurable according to the manual. But she does not know how to configure. I would think draining the battery would cause whatever configuration that might have been set to have been reset but that does not appear to be the case.

I guess I'll have to read the manual.....

Later,
Dan

/ Battery #16  
Battery boom---
Had a friend learning to fly on an old Ercoupe aircraft.
One cold day he boosted the plane to start as it was fairly cold, started Ok and off he went in the wild blue yonder.
Well about 10 mins later he heard a loud BOOM and quickly returned to earth.
There was a shorted cell or the battery had frozen and boom she went.
Scared him enough that he sold the airplane and that ended his aviation career.

/ Battery #17  
Why the SUV does not buzz when the headlights are left on is the big question. Wifey thinks this is somehow configurable according to the manual. But she does not know how to configure. I would think draining the battery would cause whatever configuration that might have been set to have been reset but that does not appear to be the case.

Does the SUV have an after-market radio in it? When I first got my Aztek, there were no chimes at all, but I also noticed that neither of the front radio speakers were working. Replacing the speakers brought the chimes back. Apparently a lot of vehicles made after about 2000 used the radio to generate the various chimes. There is an internal vehicle module network that all the various modules use to talk to each other. When something needs a chime, it puts a command on the network and the Radio acknowledges the request and plays the desired tones, usually through the speaker on the driver's door. If the driver's door speaker isn't working or the factory radio has been replaced with an aftermarket radio and the owner opted not to add a chime module, then you don't get chimes anymore.

/ Battery #18  
Also, some vehicles have a button to disable alarms about lamps being on and engine not running..

soundguy

/ Battery #20  
Does the SUV have an after-market radio in it? ....If the driver's door speaker isn't working or the factory radio has been replaced with an aftermarket radio and the owner opted not to add a chime module, then you don't get chimes anymore.

Interesting. This I never would have thunk of. But the radio is from the factory.

Since I don't want to loose Man Points I'll have to nag the wifey to read the manual for HER car. :eek::rolleyes::D:D:D:D

Later,
Dan