Should the PTO be engaged when lifted?

/ Should the PTO be engaged when lifted? #1  

Uncle Wayne

Silver Member
Tractor
4320 John Deere
I've just bought a 4320 John Deere with a MX6 bush hog. It's the first 3 pt. hitch cutter I've owned. My previous was a 6' KK drag type so this is a new experience for me. I never disengaged the drag type cutter when turning but I wasn't able to pick it up either.

With the new tractor I can lift my cutter and make much sharper turns.

Should I disengage the cutter when in the raised position for safety reasons or because of possible damage to the equipment or is it all right to keep it engaged?

/ Should the PTO be engaged when lifted? #2  
Steeper angles on the u-joints in the PTO driveshaft accelerate the wear on those joints, but without much load I don't think it is significant. If I'm turning during field mowing and no one is around, I don't disengage the pto. In fact, if you have an electric or hydraulic pto clutch, that probably puts more stress on the driveline than any brief high angularity. Still, safety first, so if anything or anyone you value is nearby shut it down.
Jim

/ Should the PTO be engaged when lifted? #3  
Still, safety first, so if anything or anyone you value is nearby shut it down.
Jim

If you're concerned about safety then it shouldn't be picked up. My MX-6 will spin for minutes after shutting off the PTO. Waiting for it to stop would make for some pretty long turning times.
Greg

/ Should the PTO be engaged when lifted? #4  
On my JD4300 when I pull the lever to shut off the PTO it stops suddenly. Unless I have idled the engine down to 500rpm this snaps shear pins. Ditto for start-ups.
I just try to adjust the angle of the PTO shaft so its not too extreme, either in the up or down position. If I'm forced to choose then I figure that the up position normally has less load on it so it gets more angle.
My old Bota had a clutch that would let the PTO "spin down" or engage gently

/ Should the PTO be engaged when lifted? #5  
I don't when making sharp turns but i only lift the cutter up to get the tail wheel about 6 inches to a foot off the ground.

/ Should the PTO be engaged when lifted? #6  
I do the same as Midsouth. Just raise it up enough to raise the tailwheel on sharp turns - especially if the ground is rough. On 90 degree turns, I usually just leave it down and turn.