Sad story, young man and PTO

/ Sad story, young man and PTO #2  
Thanks for posting this. I learned something, as usual.

Certainly modifys my urge to strip the darn shields off - they are a pain.

/ Sad story, young man and PTO #3  
Hey JJ, maybe you could put this link in the operational tips for newbies thread.
Good post.

/ Sad story, young man and PTO #4  
Good post JJ, thanks . Another wake up call to make Us all aware of the simple dangers . Bob

/ Sad story, young man and PTO #5  
Yes its a very sad story.

I hope that new members with new tractors can read this & learn from it, and i agree with Jim about posting it in another thread also.

Thanks for posting this J_J.

/ Sad story, young man and PTO #6  
Yes JJ, a good reminder to us "all",..just how easy terrible things can happen around equipment. Yes, good suggestion to post it elsewhere also,...but I see "LBrown59" posted it a couple days ago in the Operational Tips for Newbies thread.

But, as stated, reminders like this are good anytime, anywhere because we "ALL" tend to get careless ....especially when tired, or hot,...or tired and hot!! And/or when "angry"!!? a stick or something gets caught on something and you jump down, just a tad angry that the stick has upset your thoughts, .....it is just so doggone "easy",...and you KNOW, that you know better,...but so "easy" and much quicker to just lean down and reach over to gra----"BANG"!!!caught your sleeve and there goes your arm...... . . . sheeeeee-it,....AMEN !!!

. . ......tug

/ Sad story, young man and PTO #7  
I often wondered what I would do if I ever bought a used implement that didn't have the pto shaft guard on it. I figured I'd just plan to be extra careful around it. After reading this article I have completely changed my mind. I will either install the guards on the existing shaft if possible and if not I will spend the couple hundered dollars on a new shaft with guards if necessary. Thank you very much indeed JJ. A very worthwhile post/message for all of us to file away so we can make more informed decisions for ourselves. :p

Troy

/ Sad story, young man and PTO #8  
I often wondered what I would do if I ever bought a used implement that didn't have the pto shaft guard on it. I figured I'd just plan to be extra careful around it. Troy

I have shaft gaurds on my PTO shafts and I am STILL Extremely extra careful around them.

/ Sad story, young man and PTO #9  
My uncle (in his 70s now) started working at an agricultural contractor when he married my aunt and moved into our area. They loaded the muckspreader with a PTO driven, pull type excavator/backhoe driven by an MF TEF.

Once he stepped over the PTO shaft to the other side, his coveralls got entangled and he had to fight the PTO: He could keep his thingies away from the shaft by putting his hands on his knees and holding on: His boots were pushed 6 inches into the muck, he bit his fake teeth in two, and luckily, the little Fergie stalled after a minute or so....
The little fergie did the job because the slightly more powerfull McCormick that was otherwise used to drive the digger, was that day on another job.... Speaking of luck !

/ Sad story, young man and PTO #10  
My uncle (in his 70s now) started working at an agricultural contractor when he married my aunt and moved into our area. They loaded the muckspreader with a PTO driven, pull type excavator/backhoe driven by an MF TEF.

Once he stepped over the PTO shaft to the other side, his coveralls got entangled and he had to fight the PTO: He could keep his thingies away from the shaft by putting his hands on his knees and holding on: His boots were pushed 6 inches into the muck, he bit his fake teeth in two, and luckily, the little Fergie stalled after a minute or so....
The little fergie did the job because the slightly more powerfull McCormick that was otherwise used to drive the digger, was that day on another job.... Speaking of luck !

Sounds like your uncle was a very lucky guy that day.:eek:

I try not to wear baggy clothes when using the tractor or the skid steer. I find when I have loose shirt on it's easy to catch a lever getting on or off the backhoe. The pto is in a class by itself as far as danger is concerned.