RTV vs atv.

/ RTV vs atv.
As stated above, RTV's are generally more geared to transporting people and or loads (i.e. farm use). While this can be done on an ATV's, MOST are designed for ONLY 1 RIDER ;) and you will need a trailer/wagon to carry a lot of equipment/loads.

ATV's are definitely faster and more agile, but there are so many models now with huge engines (gas & diesel), power steering, automatic transmissions, that they are becoming more versatile for both work and play.

The big difference is going to be the $$$.

Something that nobody else mentioned is that an ATV will easily load in the back of a pickup truck, but
1*a lot of RTV's won't, because of their width.

IMHO, determine what you plan to use it for and $$$

2DeereSleds
1*But don't beeing wider make an rtv harder to roll over than an atv?

/ RTV vs atv. #12  
Are RTV's wider than ATV's? I really don't know. We have two ATV's. My wife uses a Honda Rancher and I use a Polaris Sportsman. A Polaris Sportsman is pretty good size ATV. It weighs 770#. The Rancher is a lot easier to move around on because it is lighter (550#) and smaller. When these things get too big, just like tractors, they become unhandy. I can do everything that I can do with my ATV with my 4x4 pickup. But it's much easier for me to move around with the ATV because it is smaller. I can get more work done in a day with an ATV. I think that is why compact tractors are so popular now. Bigger is not always better.

/ RTV vs atv. #13  
Not real sure but i would think a rtv would be wider than a atv. I know most rtvs have room for two people to sit side by side.

/ RTV vs atv. #14  
The safety advantages and disavantages are very different for an atv and a RTV because they are two entirely different machines designed for different uses. I use an RTV 900 at work and a Polaris Sportsman 500HO at home. The RTV has Rops and seat belts. The sportsman has neither. You asked which is safer on irregular hills / side slopes. The ATV is much safer. The RTV is wider however its center of gravity is very high also making easier to roll. I would be afraid to take an unloaded RTV up hills hat I would have no qualms about taking my atv up loaded. If you need a UTV that can take hills and carry a load then look at a Polaris Ranger, it might suit your needs better. If you are looking for something sportier than look at a Yamaha Rhino.
Also some notes about RTV performance on hills. They are slow starting off on level ground on hills its a crawl. They supposedly can do 25 mph but we have 4+ at work and they go a little less than 20 mph. They also have a limited slip front end this allows for a single front wheel to spin. Most ATV's eather have a spool up front or a locker. The RTV suspension is to stiff to follow the terrain in difficult areas causing one wheel to leave the ground. Also if you get an RTV stuck you better have a heck of a winch or something large to tow it out because at 1 ton you are not going to be pushing it out.
Sorry for rambling on.

/ RTV vs atv. #15  
I have a side by side kawasaki teryx (750cc) and Kawasaki kodiak 450, a midsized atv. The teryx is faster (50mph), can carry 2 easily and cargo bed. The terxy is the only certified ROPS unit on the market. I rolled the atv once doing a tight turn. I was leaning in but the roll over was kind of slow motion event and I just jumped off on the inside. I don't think the teryx would have rolled over in the same turn. Teryx can do deeper mud but has higher clearance and more aggressive tires. The teryx has a lever to allow the front end to be infinitely variable from limited slip to full lock. Teryx is more controlable at higher speeds. Teryx feels much safer with cage and seat belts. Lots of injuries on side by sides due to operator putting out foot/leg in rollover situation. SNAP goes the leg. Many manufactures now put on doors. I found the doors a PITA if you get on and off a lot. Teryx has no doors but has foot gaurds making it harder to get out. Atv is much better in tight quarters and turning. Big atv may not be much better than the teryx in turns.

On a steep side hill, the atv is probably safer only because the operator can lean up hill. If the operator was upright, the terxy is probably less prone to rollover due to wider stance.

/ RTV vs atv. #16  
The answer depends on how you are going to use the unit and what kind of terrain.

We have two ATVs (Honda and Yamaha) and a Kubota RTV-900. We've had the ATVs for 9 and 10 years, the RTV for a year and a half. We have never had any accidents with any of them beyond a cart of firewood rolling over.

HOWEVER, I have friend who has rolled his ATV several times (same model as one of mine). We've been on trails together and I parked mine and walked while he went on down the trail with his. He had trouble getting back up the trail.

If you drive sensibly at reasonable speed and terrain, they can all be safe. BUT I do feel the RTV is safer with the seat belts and roll bar.

/ RTV vs atv. #17  
The safety advantages and disavantages are very different for an atv and a RTV because they are two entirely different machines designed for different uses. I use an RTV 900 at work and a Polaris Sportsman 500HO at home. The RTV has Rops and seat belts. The sportsman has neither. You asked which is safer on irregular hills / side slopes. The ATV is much safer. The RTV is wider however its center of gravity is very high also making easier to roll. I would be afraid to take an unloaded RTV up hills hat I would have no qualms about taking my atv up loaded. If you need a UTV that can take hills and carry a load then look at a Polaris Ranger, it might suit your needs better. If you are looking for something sportier than look at a Yamaha Rhino.
Also some notes about RTV performance on hills. They are slow starting off on level ground on hills its a crawl. They supposedly can do 25 mph but we have 4+ at work and they go a little less than 20 mph. They also have a limited slip front end this allows for a single front wheel to spin. Most ATV's eather have a spool up front or a locker. The RTV suspension is to stiff to follow the terrain in difficult areas causing one wheel to leave the ground. Also if you get an RTV stuck you better have a heck of a winch or something large to tow it out because at 1 ton you are not going to be pushing it out.
Sorry for rambling on.

This is a good comparison for me. I have always wondered what the difference would be. I do know that on the side hills that scare me on the tractor or pickup truck are know problem for an ATV. There is one thing bad about ATV's. I used to ride dirt bikes. If I wrecked the dirt bike I could "throw" it away from me. If an ATV flips there is no getting away from it. It's going to be on top of you. And the ATV's these days are pretty heavy.

/ RTV vs atv. #19  
I saw that broadcast. A "CBS exclusive" report ....... The issue has been known for a long time. Vast majority are doing things they should not be doing. I have a Kawasaki Teryx but the Rhino always gets picked on the most. I think they should do an "CBS exclusive report" on the dangers of a motorcyle next. Lots more deaths and injuries compared to a UTV.

/ RTV vs atv. #20  
yea...machines get vilified. sad...I am a 3 wheeler fan...When you really look at the numbers, prior to the ban..you will see that the injury/death rate is no higher than it is today on 4 wheelers...in fact...there are about 30% more injuries today, but that may be related to more machines around...when you read the death reports...and how the machine was 'blamed' it is just plain sad.
many involve alcohol, some..falling off the machine while just sitting on it..not running, one getting electrocuted from running over a live wire...one hit by a train..from the rear..while driving down train tracks..

Remember it is the lawyers that make the money