Semi hits mowing crew tractor

/ Semi hits mowing crew tractor #1  

gobbler

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1800
Yesterday afternoon, a semi truck plowed into the back of a Missouri Department of Transportation worker who was mowing. By the pictures on the news last night, it's amazing that the tractor operator was not killed. After hitting the tractor, the truck ran off the road and nearly hit a fireworks stand. Below is a link to the article, which has a picture of the tractor. Check out the gallery pictures also.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.hannibal.net/stories/062602/hap_0626020045.shtml>http://www.hannibal.net/stories/062602/hap_0626020045.shtml</A>

/ Semi hits mowing crew tractor #2  
Wow....that tractor got demolished. I agree....not sure how the tractor operator survived except by the grace of God.

/ Semi hits mowing crew tractor #3  
That was one lucky man. And in this case he was lucky he wasn't wearing his seatbelt.

TBone

/ Semi hits mowing crew tractor #4  
<font color=blue>not sure how the tractor operator survived </font color=blue>

Looks like he wasn't wearing his seat belt, or it failed & he went flying. He was very lucky.

Generally you are better off to buckle up. he could have just as easily ended up under the tractor or semi.

With all the road rage / bad drivers etc. you hear about today it might be time to incorporate the large energy absorbing bumpers they use on construction trucks on tractors. Or use a "chase truck" to protect the mowing crews. They certaintley don't design the tracors for collisions with autos.

Anybody have stats on the number of auto/truck vs. tractor collisions?

/ Semi hits mowing crew tractor
I know the lady mentioned in the article. She is the spokesperson for MODOT in Hannibal. Our kids are on the same baseball team. I'll ask if she knows whether the seat belt was used or not.

/ Semi hits mowing crew tractor #6  
"That was one lucky man. And in this case he was lucky he wasn't wearing his seatbelt."

It doesn't appear that tractor had a ROPS. I can't believe it did and the ROPS was crushed or torn off.

So, remember...it the tractor has a ROPS, use your seat belt. If there is no ROPS, you're better off getting thrown away (or jump) from the tractor.

He's a lucky guy!!! Kinda surprised he didn't get a whiplash type injury!

/ Semi hits mowing crew tractor #7  
<font color=blue>and hit a southbound John Deere tractor driven by Black, which was on the right shoulder of the highway, partly on the road.</font color=blue>

This portion of the story does not sound good for the tractor driver or the state.

/ Semi hits mowing crew tractor #8  
Looks like some work for kubmech. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Semi hits mowing crew tractor #9  
Look at the photo gallery. it had a ROPS and the ROPS was torn off. You can see the left upright for the ROPS where it was torn off. Looks like it was attached to the rear differential and the truck tore the left rear wheel and part of the differential off.

/ Semi hits mowing crew tractor #10  
JD 2150, nice machine. I wish I could get my hands on a 2155 or 2355 MFWD.

160,000lbs (if loaded) against 6 or 7,000lbs aint no rops gonna hold.