Refitting huge rear wheel

/ Refitting huge rear wheel #1  

Aussiebushman

Gold Member
Jerrong, south of Oberon in NSW, Australia
Tractor
Ford 6000
I can't be the only one with this problem so if anyone has worked out a system for replacing an enormous wheel on his own, please let me have your thoughts:

The monster is a 24.1.26 tyre on a 20" rim and I reckon it weighs around 120 Kg. It had a new tube fitted and I managed to lever it off the trailer so it is lying flat next to the jacked up tractor but the ground is not level. That was the good news. I'm on a remote property where is is difficult to get any help. Guys promise to come, then find any excuse not to do so, even when offered payment. I dug out under where the wheel must go and built a trolley jack on a rolling frame so if I can get the wheel upright onto the jack, lifting it into position should be reasonably simple. Three lashed posts and a chain block might work, so might another trolley jack and props to lift the wheel in stages but I'm concerned that if the bast%#d gets away from me and falls against the tractor, the weight could dislodge the jacks under the tractor itself - that might spoil the day.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Alan

/ Refitting huge rear wheel #2  
Alan...
First, DON'T go to a remote area to work on something heavy, ALONE...
If nothing else another person can go for help if you get pinned under the wheel or tractor.

It looks like you have the lifting part mostly covered. Place the vehicle you are driving on the opposite side of the tractor, against the rear tire to help in preventing knocking the tractor off its perch when the wheel makes contact with the hub.
Watch out for pinched fingers/arms and other parts...
But bring someone with you if for no other reason so they can be a witness and post a warning as to what not to do... Work SAFE & good luck, KennyV

/ Refitting huge rear wheel #3  
Allen : ...some photos might help us to "get the picture" ? Its difficult to come up with ideas to assist when we cannot "see" the lay of the land where the tire and tractor are "sitting".

Can you get more blocks etc under the axle in case your jack stands (by-chance) do get dislodged? Best make things as safe as possible FIRST, if you are working "alone". Seems help is out of earshot!

Not sure of your predicament? Is the problem getting the tire "stood up"? OR, is it "sliding it in against the hub"? Do you have a couple of "large" pry bars handy?

Sorry I'm not much help to you Allen,...but its difficult to "imagine" the situation without some good photos.

Perhaps by now you've been able to round up a couple of mates to assist?
GOOD LUCK,...and be careful working "alone"!!

CHEERS!
. . tug

PS: I just notice you are relatively new here,...so my warmest WELCOME ABOARD !!!
ALSO: just re-read your post,...can you "lever" the tyre into position on the trolly-jack and then chain (or rope) it to the truck and slowly "pull" it up into position on the trolly? Would that action get you underway to moving toward the tractor? Otherwise, "your" idea of three lashed posts and a chain block sounds the best to me,...from here? Properly positioned you could stand the tyre up and swing it into the hub,......carefully!

Last edited:
   / Refitting huge rear wheel #4  
Alone, very difficult and yes major safety issue if something goes wrong.

But, do you have use of another tractor, forklift, backhoe, excavator which you could use for the lifting? Could use pallet forks, hay forks, boom pole, front end loader, backhoe. They do make a set up with rollers on it for a heavy tire to sit on so you can rotate it to line up the lug nuts. But for tractor tires doubt they would be of much help due to lugs on the tire. Also think they are only made for flat hard surface. If you had a single hay spear you might could get the center of the rim on it and then rotate it to line up with the lug studs. Also if the tire is filled with any ballast much better to do so AFTER getting it on the tractor.

Do not lift your other wheel clear as the front end pivots and you have a very unstable tractor which will fall very easy. If you can get the rear wheel laying on the rear end then you can slowly jack it up to let the wheel come clear and go vertical and then should be able to rotate wheel on the hub. Have seen people use the tractor in low gear to do that but that is dangerous. You also should have it already in gear and block so it can not move.

Be safe, have you priced a tire company to install it? I realize cost varies but here the price to have a tire repaired on the tractor is not much more than at their shop. Sure not worth it to take it off and hual and handle it myself, even with help.

/ Refitting huge rear wheel
Thanks Guys

I should have put in a picture in the first place - now attached. You can see the problem is the location near the shed, so there is no room to get anything on the other side of the machine. The ground is also uneven and the downhill slope means that levering the tyre with a crowbar into a vertical position causes it to slide towards the rim where it jams. I tried chocking it but that did not work. Also tried the sheerleg idea but it is hard to get enough height to operate a tackle. The downhill slide also works against it.

A conventional forklift would never make it onto the site due to the steep and rough track (one of the reasons I need to get the tractor going again is to grade the road). However, I thinks another tractor would be the answer using the 3-pt linkage and my boom (not shown in the picture) Of course, that also would solve the problem if the driver came with the tractor and that is the difficulty as first explained - guess I'll persist in trying to find a cooperative neighbour, if such a thing exists! You would think my German Shepherd would help, but all he does is eat and s&^t.

Attachments

• wheel_off1.jpg
    wheel_off1.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 261
  • wheel_off2.jpg
    wheel_off2.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 246
   / Refitting huge rear wheel #6  
Thanks Guys

I should have put in a picture in the first place - now attached. You can see the problem is the location near the shed, so there is no room to get anything on the other side of the machine. The ground is also uneven and the downhill slope means that levering the tyre with a crowbar into a vertical position causes it to slide towards the rim where it jams. I tried chocking it but that did not work. Also tried the sheerleg idea but it is hard to get enough height to operate a tackle. The downhill slide also works against it.

A conventional forklift would never make it onto the site due to the steep and rough track (one of the reasons I need to get the tractor going again is to grade the road). However, I thinks another tractor would be the answer using the 3-pt linkage and my boom (not shown in the picture) Of course, that also would solve the problem if the driver came with the tractor and that is the difficulty as first explained - guess I'll persist in trying to find a cooperative neighbour, if such a thing exists! You would think my German Shepherd would help, but all he does is eat and s&^t.

Is that tire loaded with fluid ballast? Either with or without, I am sure it's quite heavy. I can't offer any suggestions other than to try inviting some friends again and this time include free beverages (beer) and food (grilled steaks)! If that offer works, make sure you get the tire on first BEFORE you give out the beer!

If that doesn't get anyone to help you out, then you might need to look at renting or building a portable tripod or A-frame with a winch on it, or maybe an engine hoist that could be used to suspend the tire up off the ground so you could manuever it easily. Just a thought to consider if all else fails.

/ Refitting huge rear wheel #7  
Is the cab sound enough to pass a cable through? Maybe you could jack the side of the tire up using blocks or timbers to say a 45 degree angle. Then use a comealong attached to the tire and passed through the cab and anchored to the other side. The red jack close to the hub is going to be in the way. Good luck be careful.

/ Refitting huge rear wheel #8  
If you can (or are willing to) spend more money, hiring an old fashioned tow truck with a boom can lift the relatively light tire into position. You'd need to set up the lashings first depending on the lift height to the hook of the truck, many are fairly low. But it drives up, has safety coverage, and if you set up ahead of time it shouldn't take too long or cost too much since pretty much everywhere has something to tow cars around.

If cost is a serious object and you want to do it yourself, the first thing I'd do is solidly block the tractor -- as you mention, if the tire gets away the tractor held up with spindly bottle jacks isn't too stable. Then getting the tire upright isn't as much of a risk (you sure the tire only weighs 120Kg? Seems light even only full of air). Getting upright shouldn't be too hard, couple of poles and a sort of jib boom (to hold the tire in position with each lift) using only muscle power should do it. But it will probably flop over to the tractor even with a limit rope to a tree or some other solid object, and that is the identified risk with the jacks holding up the tractor...

/ Refitting huge rear wheel #9  
GOOD GRIEF BOYS !! It's only a big old tire laying on its side for pete sake!!

But ain't it frustrating when you can't "think" of a method to get it up??(the tire!! steady!) I am extremely frustrated studying Alan's photos,...just want to jump in there with a big pry bar and a bunch of blocks,...and start pryin and blockin and pryin and blockin till its almost up, then step back, take a breath,..get furious MAD and get your shoulder under it and push,......one good MAD and she's up !!

However,...the tire is "still" on the ground,.....but with all the great people we have on this forum, and all the combined mind power we have been known to use in the past to conquer the most difficult problems,.....surely we can pull together here and come up with "something" safe and "workable" to help our good buddy way down under to get this big old tractor up and running with the tire safely installed !!!

OK Now,...lets all do some serious thinking on this and come up with all the real good suggestions we here on TBN are noted for !! How bout it guys?

CHEERS! a night's sleep should help, see what the morning brings? Often giving a problem to your subconcious mind just before sleep sets in,...renders a good answer upon waking!
. . tug

PS: Horse7: ...we must have been typing at the same time there. You are absolutely right about the safety end of this. I agree, he should get some short 6X6's or 4X4's etc under there and get those flimsy jacks out,...get 'er good and solid FIRST,..then if the tire flops in it won't hurt. And if the tire is not loaded it shouldn't be a nasty lift but then again that depends on the physical state of Alan. Don't need a hernia with all else!

Last edited:
   / Refitting huge rear wheel #10  
Hi Folks. I'm new to the forum but have been following the discussions for a couple of months now.
The wheel on the ground is a problem I have had to deal with a long looong time past.
Ideally the trailer would have helped if the wheel had been slid off at an angle to the axle and the just tipped up and wedged and pryed over.
I have used a tripod with a chain hoist in the past. It is essential that blocking be used, not just the jacks as mentioned.

Last edited: