Fatal PTO accident.

/ Fatal PTO accident. #2  
Some trucks use a hydraulic driven pump rather than the pto shaft type. The hydraulic system is much safer and the flow of the pump can be reversed, for pumping product on and off the truck.

The safest thing is to stay away from a rotating shaft, shielded or not shielded I am getting close to it my the shaft is turning.

This was another accident that could have been easily avoided.

/ Fatal PTO accident. #3  
as usual, I just learned something. No idea PTO U joints had to be kept in phase

/ Fatal PTO accident. #4  
I'm afraid to ask.......... but what exactly is in the picture on the left (the one with the wrench in the photo)?

In all my years driving trucks, many with PTOs......... I've yet to see ONE with any type of guard on the PTO shaft (like the plastic guards on tractor PTOs).

/ Fatal PTO accident. #5  
as usual, I just learned something. No idea PTO U joints had to be kept in phase

Normal farm shafts can be slid into each other in two ways, 180 degrees opposed. These dont have that problem. But if you have a cardan shaft, lets say a 20 ?? (just guessing something) spline shaft between engine and transmission of a wheel loader, you can get strange vibrations if you slide them out and put back under the wrong angle: Normally both ends equal each other out, but if they are wrongly positioned on the shaft, the shaft will vibrate violently. You can search for days, if you cant remember that your pal had that shaft apart the day before.. ;)

/ Fatal PTO accident. #6  
Normal farm shafts can be slid into each other in two ways, 180 degrees opposed. These dont have that problem. But if you have a cardan shaft, lets say a 20 ?? (just guessing something) spline shaft between engine and transmission of a wheel loader, you can get strange vibrations if you slide them out and put back under the wrong angle: Normally both ends equal each other out, but if they are wrongly positioned on the shaft, the shaft will vibrate violently. You can search for days, if you cant remember that your pal had that shaft apart the day before.. ;)

Yeah, I had no idea. I'm definitely going to have to double check.

The math on the vibration is neat.