ROPS Stuck, Won't fold up JD 2720

/ ROPS Stuck, Won't fold up JD 2720 #1  

James150

Bronze Member
Tractor
'09 JD 2720, '02 ROKON Trailbreaker 2X2 Motortractor, 1999 Massey Ferguson 1255
I searched for an answer but maybe no one has had this problem yet (yeah right). My JD 2720 with fold-up ROPS won't extend up after folding properly. I can get one pin in and the other won't line up. No I haven't hit anything (yet) with the ROPS or turned the tractor over. They were very tight from the factory (needed a hammer to get the pin out/in) and have gotten tighter to the point I can't get the pin in-out at all, in the 25 hours I have operated this tractor.

I can see them being screwed up if I hit something and bent them but are they suposed to be this tight from the factory?

I could just take it back to the dealer I guess but so far TBN has answered every single question/problem I have had with the tractor since it was new. I want to extend that streak if I can.

THanks,

Jim

/ ROPS Stuck, Won't fold up JD 2720 #2  
I have had a similar problem with my 2320.. When I got it, it took much pulling, pushing, tugging, beating to get the pins in/out..

After a while I figured out that to get the pins in i have to put the right pin in first.. Then if i pull the ROPS toward the front of the tractor slightly I can get the left pin in.. I have to reverse the sequence to get the pins out as well..

If you dont do it in the sequence you can not get the pins in.. I reckon i got lucky that i figured out what would work

good luck

brian

/ ROPS Stuck, Won't fold up JD 2720 #3  
I would at least call the dealer and inform him of the issue, also ask him how they would fix it. My guess is they would take a drill bit of the appropriate size and resize the holes very slightly so they line up better. If that's the case, then I would take it back (or have them drive out) and take care of it so if there was ever any legal issues with it (ie ROPS failure in rollover) they would be responsible for it.

/ ROPS Stuck, Won't fold up JD 2720 #4  
I took a round file to the offending hole alignment (right side) on my JD 3320 ROPS. It is still a snug fit, but I can pop the pin out with a smack of my hand now rather than a hammer and brass bar.

It didn't take much to ease things up.

/ ROPS Stuck, Won't fold up JD 2720 #5  
I would make the dealer adjust the ROPS. You should not have to file or drill any holes IMHO.

I would bet that loosening the ROPS mounting bolts (on the fender) the tightening them properly could fix the issue.

/ ROPS Stuck, Won't fold up JD 2720 #6  
i had same prob with my 2320 i also filled a little out, also changed pins to ones with handle from tsc.

/ ROPS Stuck, Won't fold up JD 2720 #7  
I had the same problem with my 3520. At first I could take the pins out and put them back with a hammer but after some time I could only put one pin in in either position of the ROPS. At the 50 hour maintainance, the dealer realigned the holes and now it works great. According to him, this is not an uncommon issue.

/ ROPS Stuck, Won't fold up JD 2720 #8  
just file or drill them out a little, nobody will ever know the difference if something were to ever happen. i'm sure when they are welded up they tweak a little, i had the same problem on my 2520. i cut mine down 4" anyways so took the die grinder to the holes while i was at it. now it fits niceley with lots of room in my garage doors, was close before especially with a load in the bucket or forks.

/ ROPS Stuck, Won't fold up JD 2720
Thanks to all who replied. I think I will drop by the dealer since I will have the tractor on the trailer in a week or two.
Regards,

Jim