You're darned if you do and you're darned.....

/ You're darned if you do and you're darned..... #2  
loose clothing and machines that have something turning don't mix.

/ You're darned if you do and you're darned..... #3  
Thats always been a concern of mine!!!

Te safety police require that we wear these vests for visibility, we'd get a fine if we didnt wear them, but i always considered it a liability around moving machinery especially indoors. (the nature of my job required me to be both indoors and outdoors)

I was constantly hooking myself on various edges etc. Not safe. I was pushing for breakaway vests High Visibility Break-Away Safety Vest (LUX-SSBRP) Vests, Jackets, & Coats - HV1210 But heck, they cost more so it was a no go:rolleyes: Safety is important dont you know.... :rolleyes:

/ You're darned if you do and you're darned..... #4  
It's really hard to cover all of the bases for things that can happen. I am in favor of the bright orange shirts with reflective stripes when the weather allows. Working around chainsaws and chippers the vest can get snagged. On the other hand getting hit by a 3000 lb vehicle is going to spoil my day just as much. Maybe I can put a little revolving warning light on my hardhat! :D

/ You're darned if you do and you're darned..... #5  
Like treemonkey said, it doesn't have to be a vest, there are several options that meet the visibility requirements. I have a vest that fits me well and I rarely snag it on anything. If the vest isn't appropriate for where I am working I also have high vis coveralls. There are T shirts, regular (collared) shirts and jackets that are all high vis too, depending on the weather.
As usual the article doesn't give nearly enough information for us to make an informed decision about it, just that the vest was caught up in the equipment.
Having said all that, I too know of instances where the safety equipment, even properly worn has increased risk of an incident. It is hard to cover all the possiblilities.

/ You're darned if you do and you're darned..... #6  
Check lab safety supply.. we buy the dot vests with hi viz stripe, and the vests are velcro hooke dtogether and will un-velcro in half when snatched on hard... might be what you need..

soundguy

Thats always been a concern of mine!!!

Te safety police require that we wear these vests for visibility, we'd get a fine if we didnt wear them, but i always considered it a liability around moving machinery especially indoors. (the nature of my job required me to be both indoors and outdoors)

I was constantly hooking myself on various edges etc. Not safe. I was pushing for breakaway vests High Visibility Break-Away Safety Vest (LUX-SSBRP) Vests, Jackets, & Coats - HV1210 But heck, they cost more so it was a no go:rolleyes: Safety is important dont you know.... :rolleyes:

/ You're darned if you do and you're darned..... #7  
Most oilfield companies use nomex coveralls and overalls with a hi-viz stripe. Stuff works pretty good and isnt exactly easy to get caught in rotating machinery and is flame retardant. Made for floor hands on a rig. Its awesome stuff.

/ You're darned if you do and you're darned..... #8  
Check lab safety supply.. we buy the dot vests with hi viz stripe, and the vests are velcro hooke dtogether and will un-velcro in half when snatched on hard... might be what you need..

soundguy

Unfortunately for us, the only thing we were allowed to wear was company issue. (hardhats, glasses, vest)

They did, in their "generosity" offer us 4 feet of stripes to sew onto a pair of coveralls or you jacket in a "X" pattern. That was it. Only enough for one pair ( i tried for more:cool:). So unless i wanted to wear the same set of coveralls all year (they would be pretty funky by the end of day 2, not to mention all the wear would be on one set) you had to wear the vest.

Thanks for the option though. And thankfully i no longer work for their cheap asses:D

/ You're darned if you do and you're darned..... #9  
gee.. all the safety they could afford... :)

soundguy