Tread Width and Safety

/ Tread Width and Safety #1  

gusg

Silver Member
Tractor
B7510 with R4s
I moved out the rear tires two inches on each side on my B7500. Is the increase of 4 inches in tread width going to make it that much safer when working with the FEL?

/ Tread Width and Safety #2  
Gus -- It makes a surprising amount of difference on slopes. Since moving my tires to the max out position on my L3010 I feel much more secure mowing across the slope -- at about a 17 degree angle. Not sure if you'd notice it with FEL work, though. What sort of issues are you having?

Pete

/ Tread Width and Safety
I am not having any issues yet. Just trying to think of things before they happen. I will be mowing on some slopes that are about 15 degrees and will be going on them with a FEL full of rock or dirt. I will have a 400 lb. box blade on the rear and loaded rear tires. This should be enough weight. Thanks for letting me know about your experience.

My pucker factor is pretty low especially after reading many of the posts in the safety forum. I can tell I start to pucker on slopes that really aren't very steep. The dealer said he would mow across any of the slopes I have except for one that he thinks may be 25 degrees. I will go down this slope or use my push mower.

/ Tread Width and Safety #4  
I managed to get a 3" wider tread using the reverse the wheels trick. It didn't impress me much. I'm adding another set of rear wheels.

/ Tread Width and Safety #5  
<font color=blue>The dealer said he would mow across any of the slopes I have except for one that he thinks may be 25 degrees. I will go down this slope or use my push mower. </font color=blue>

I could not help but think that maybe you would be safer going up or down that slope seated on your tractor than behind a push mower...it is the cross slopes that are the greatest worry. up or down a 25 degree slope should not be a great concern, at least in my opinion...I would be more worried about slipping and having my foot go under that push mower!

Be safe and have fun!

Bill in Pgh, PA