ROPS and seatbelts

/ ROPS and seatbelts #1  

professor

Gold Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers 416S John Deere LX280, John Deere Z225 zero turn yanmar 1401 , Oliver 550 Special, Oliver 75 Lawn Tractor, New Holland 3930 4WD, Mitsubishi BDF2 Dozer
I have an Oliver 550 that I would like to install a ROPS unit and seat belt. Since Oliver never built a unit I was wondering if there is a company that manufacturers ROPS for vintage tractors. Any help will be appreciated

/ ROPS and seatbelts #2  
Hello Professor...

Here's a site you can "plug-in" an older tractor and see if a ROPS is available <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.marshfieldclinic.org/nfmc/rops/dropdown.htm>Retrofitting Older Tractors for ROPS...</A>

In the early '90's, there was a big push for this on older tractors, many mfr. campaigns... most done at cost for the farmer... average price ~~$700-900....

I think you may be in for severe sticker shock at today's prices however... /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

/ ROPS and seatbelts
Thanks John for the information. I have gotten in touch with two companies that manufacture after market ROPS.

/ ROPS and seatbelts #4  
John,

"Sticker shock" is an understatement! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif I can't believe some of the prices on that link.
My <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=owning&Number=134560&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1>$148 ROPS from Kubota </A> has to be the best deal of all time./w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ ROPS and seatbelts #5  
Frank,

a ROPS for an older machine may be expensive financially, however, after seeing some pics last week at my local MF dealer I can't question it's value in savings of life and limb.

My 1st experiences w/ a tractor were on an old McCormick of my Dad's. Had a few 'puckers' on it, but never lost it. Since then, I've had a few machines of my own, but all older w/out safety equip. such as belts & ROPS. Machismo side kinda' made me 'bah-humbug' such things.

The pic's I saw at the dealer showed an older MF that did a sideways roll off a sharp embankment in western NC. The operator was going between fields on hardtop. He got too close to pavement edge with uneven shoulder, losing control. It was AWFUL!

Living in the foothills of the Smokys in E. TN, I am VERY thankful my new 'Bota has seatbelt & ROPS & will no longer consider operating it w/out both in place after seeing those pics. If I purchase another older machine, I will either find a ROPS for it or have one fabricated.

/ ROPS and seatbelts
Ridgerunner

Thanks for the insight, since I made the request I completely restored the Oliver 550. It looks too good to work and has become my show tractor. I bought a Ford 2600 with factory ROPS , seat belt and canopy. The hills in mid Tn are not mountains but steep. My friend was mowing a hillside with a 35 Massey in 1966 when he was14 years of age. The tractor flipped and pinned him between the fender and tire. He lived to tell about it but was out the entire summer with broken bones.

/ ROPS and seatbelts #7  
Congrats on both the restoration & the new Ford, Frank!

Where's the pic's of the Oliver? ;)

/ ROPS and seatbelts #8  
I notice that ford still lists a rops kit for the N - machines. And not a bad price either, considdering. ( $ 472.00 or something like that, not including labor i'm sure. )

Soundguy

<font color=blue>a ROPS for an older machine may be expensive financially, however, after seeing some pics last week at my local MF dealer I can't question it's value in savings of life and limb.

/ ROPS and seatbelts #9  
Could you do me the favor of telling me what a ROPS is?
Thanks,
Mike

/ ROPS and seatbelts #10  
Roll Over Protective Structure= If tractor is tipped over on it's side the device is to keep tractor from rolling on to operator if they have their sit belt on..... may not be as protective if operator is thrown from tractor due to not buckling up .....
Bill G.