Dangers of Acetylene and Oxygen Bottles

/ Dangers of Acetylene and Oxygen Bottles #1  

Scooby074

Tractor
BX 25, ZD 326
Guys, every couple months a thread pops up about carrying home acetylene (or propane) from the welding supply in a a closed vehicle.

Some say theres no issue with it. I always beg to differ. Matter of fact our local welding supply wont load your vehicle if its a closed space. Many wouldnt question this if they knew the explosive power contained in that small tank.

have a look at this thread to see what can go wrong. Make Sure Your Gas Axe Bottles Don't Leak - PY Online Forums

Heres one pic to start.

Attachments

• DSCF08248.jpg
    DSCF08248.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 1,322
   / Dangers of Acetylene and Oxygen Bottles #2  
Jason - That's some serious collateral damage too.
Dave.

/ Dangers of Acetylene and Oxygen Bottles #3  
Guys, every couple months a thread pops up about carrying home acetylene (or propane) from the welding supply in a a closed vehicle.

Some say theres no issue with it. I always beg to differ. Matter of fact our local welding supply wont load your vehicle if its a closed space. Many wouldnt question this if they knew the explosive power contained in that small tank.

have a look at this thread to see what can go wrong. Make Sure Your Gas Axe Bottles Don't Leak - PY Online Forums

Heres one pic to start.

Probably a one in a million chance of that happening.:eek::rolleyes:

Do you feel lucky today? :confused::confused:

I wouldn't want to have to explain that one to my insurance company. Just because you have insurance doesn't mean that it is covered. I think that they would say that you are an idiot and the loss is yours.:(

At least I hope they would, because I don't want to pay for that with my premiums.:cool:

/ Dangers of Acetylene and Oxygen Bottles #4  
Interesting thread...

A friend/neighbor was the GM for a Gas Supply Company in Oakland CA... Company Policy absolutely forbid loading any gas cylinders into a confined space... even inert gases.

I work in the Medical Industry and Medical Gases, including Full Size Oxygen Cylinders are routinely placed inside vehicles... even the Med Gas Pharmacy Delivery Truck is a Cube Van...

So industry standards for handling the same product so vary....

/ Dangers of Acetylene and Oxygen Bottles #5  
Gday that looks like the explosion that happened over here just recently luckily the young bloke got out of it with only scratches apparently it was set off by the remote door lock :eek:

Jon

/ Dangers of Acetylene and Oxygen Bottles #6  
Point me to the last thread that covered this ?

/ Dangers of Acetylene and Oxygen Bottles #7  
A few years ago I had the air bottle (88 cu ft 4500psi), that I use for airgun shooting, refilled. Rather than have it rattling around in the trunk, I put it on the passenger bucket seat.
There was, doing 65mph on the interstate when the o-ring seal blew. There was a loud bang, fog filled the car and the bottle began dancing.
It's a wonder that I didn't swerve off the road and I'm lucky that I wasn't in traffic. I'm even luckier that I was driving my convertible, top up, as the sudden increase in air pressure might have burst my eardrums.

/ Dangers of Acetylene and Oxygen Bottles #8  

Heres one pic to start.

OH NOOOOO!!! We should ban all welding torches. Good grief people, just think of all the lives we could save if people did not have access to such dangerous things. I for one think there is NO REASON to ever weld metal together and such things like make tractors, or implements. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

/ Dangers of Acetylene and Oxygen Bottles #9  

Heres one pic to start.

What's the origin of that picture?

/ Dangers of Acetylene and Oxygen Bottles #10  
I think I've mentioned it before, but many years ago, I decided I wanted a small gas welding/cutting rig so I went shopping for an oxygen/acetylene rig. Fortunately, perhaps, instead of box stores and such, I went to a real welding supply company. The salesman asked where I was going to store the rig. At the time, I lived in town in a house on a city lot, and told him it would kept in the attached garage. He recommended going with a Mapp gas/oxygen rig instead of acetylene. He said if there was ever a leak, you would not smell acetylene before it reached explosive levels, but that you would smell a Mapp gas leak before it became dangerous. I bought the Mapp gas/oxygen rig from him and never regretted it.