Beware of hitch pins that look like this

/ Beware of hitch pins that look like this #1  

GinNB

Gold Member
Tractor
2x Kubota M108S, M105S, 2x M9000, IH885, IH584, IH484, IH454, F3000, F3610, C50, JX70, Landini 5830, JD4630 sprayer
Put a good load on what you're towing, roll over a few hills and gullies (putting vertical pressure on the top of the hitch pin), and VOILA! One pin, one top, and, oh yeah, where did my trailed mower go???

Attachments

• IMG_1418.jpg
    IMG_1418.jpg
    578.3 KB · Views: 903
  • IMG_1419.jpg
    IMG_1419.jpg
    599.6 KB · Views: 718
   / Beware of hitch pins that look like this #2  
Made in India I'm sure. Not doubt the guy was using both feet and all his toes to hold this together while he was welding it. The welders on this forum will be able to tell you why it failed.

/ Beware of hitch pins that look like this
Can't remember where I got it or where it was made. I just know that most decent hitch pins don't have a washer and a link of chain crappily welded to the top of the pin. Been there, done that, won't do it again.

/ Beware of hitch pins that look like this #4  
The pins were welded the Orange County Choppers way, close your eyes & weld away. Probably done by without a good welder, quality rod/wire, eye protection, or any training what so ever by someone earning 50 cents per thousand. MikeD74T

/ Beware of hitch pins that look like this #5  
Yeah, you can clearly see a corroded section in that second photo that had been cracked or cracking for quite a while prior to the failure - as you said, lousy weld job.

/ Beware of hitch pins that look like this #6  
Where does one get pins made like that? HF possibly, or Northern tools?

/ Beware of hitch pins that look like this #7  
They've been making pins that way for 35-40 years that I know of. I was pulling a 12' disc with my grandfather' 60 John Deere down a 2 lane highway in road gear and the pin broke like that just as I got to a bridge. The hydraulic hoses kept it straight enough I didn't hit the bridge bannisters but it was certainly exciting. Got off and found the hitch pin and got hooked back up with the pin upside down hanging from the hairpin and made it the rest of the way to the other farm. Glad there wasn't any traffic! We tossed a few other pins like that after that experience.

Kim

/ Beware of hitch pins that look like this #8  
That would suck. Its bad enough worrying about the retainer clip falling out allowing the pin to work itself out. I would not want to have to worry about the pin breaking off and falling through.

I don't skimp on parts like hitch pins and such. I must have 20 of the heavy duty hitch pins as I got tired of the cheap TSC ones bending anytime you think of putting a load on it:rolleyes: Every tractor I own has a long and a short hitch pin and any implement that takes a larger diameter pin has the pin left with it so its always there when needed regardless of what tractor is being hooked up.