Kubota brake & tredel arrangement

/ Kubota brake & tredel arrangement #1  

Moon

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3010HST R4's, Scag Wildcat ZTR, 61
Had something happen while mowing that scared the crap outta me. I have a corner by an old barn structure i mow by backing into it, only way to do it with the RFM. Anyway i was turning around to get the right angle and my front wheels just barley went over the edge of a downhill path. I hit the tredel pedal to back up and my rear wheels started slipping (in 2wd). So i go for the brake, cause i'm now heading down a steep hill. I must've hit both the forward tredel pedal and the brake cause i went down the hill faster than i do when i mow it with no brake. I wasn't aligned to go straight on the path so i was off into brush and moving way faster than i've ever gone down a hill. I bounced steered and fought my way back to the path (out of control) and ended up on the other side of the path in more brush and small trees. Good thing for the trees, they ended up stopping me else I'd have been in the pond. All happend so quick. Don't know if the action of trying to go into reverse and the tires slipping was more the cause of this (cause of no traction or if i actually hit the forward tredel at the same time as the brake. I had pivited my foot so that when i stopped i was just on the brake; but i can't be sure of where my foot hit when i first hit the brakes. No skid marks apparent anywhere, and the ground was bone dry. I was in 2wd at the time. I've mowed once since then and now use 4wd in that area, plus i just take it a little slower, but i really wasn't going fast when it happend, just that loss of traction and away i went.

The arrangement of pedals never bothered me till this incident. Now I'd prefer the brake to be on the same side as the clutch so the the left foot could handle both those operations. I wonder if they could even put a brake pedal on both sides, much like on the handlebar brakes on ATV's and motorcycles?

/ Kubota brake & tredel arrangement #2  
Moon,
Stained some underwear myself that way! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif Fresh outta 'da box, I stood on the rear pedal for the HST on my B7500, and backed up to 'da barn. When I gotta close, I got off the pedal, but ya see, 'da tractor she no wanna stop. Hit da brake, she still no wanna stop. Problem.... barn closer than ever, and coming in FAST! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif Stood, and I mean STOOD on 'da forward pedal, and proceeded to bring the front end up off the ground and chirp the tires, leaving pretty black marks on 'da driveway apron... a reminder to always keep a spare pair of Fruit of the Looms in the toolbox! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif Seems the dealer put the clevis pin for the brake pedal in backwards, and the bent clevis pin was binding up between the arm of the HST pedal. This happened several times to me, so I just rebent the clevis pin legs around the pin, but now I have times when the rear HST pedal will not go down... still hitting the pin. Man, I've gotta turn that pin around! /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif
May I suggest you also use LOW gear if you are mowing in that area again? Gives you a little more reaction time, and if you should hit the HST and the brake at the same time, well you just won't git up 'da speed as quickly as you did before.

/ Kubota brake & tredel arrangement
Thanks Robert. A couple of good suggestions there ....fruit of da looms and Low range. I was in Med range when it happend, but low range does sound like a good suggestion. I like the R4 tires i have, but it's also got me thinking of getting AG's. When i first started shopping i thought i'd go with Ag's for sure, but after all i read bought tearing up the yard i figured w 4wd R4's would be fine. .....and for the most part they are, but the extra traction Ag's would give is very desirable for some of my tasks.
Have a good un, and be careful out there!
Moon

/ Kubota brake & tredel arrangement #4  
Look at Deere hydro tractor foot controls.....SAFETY.....

brake pedals are on opposite side of contol (forward / reverse ) pedals....Thats the way it should be....safer and the brakes can be used as turn brakes as well.....most other colors can not do this..

edv

/ Kubota brake & tredel arrangement #5  
Other colors CANNOT place a pedal on the left?

Is it safer to have the gear shift mounted on the floor or on the steering column. Is it better to hasve parking brakes in the center or to be foot operated?

Design, design, design.

Seth

/ Kubota brake & tredel arrangement #6  
Kinda curious?

If backing up and the tractor starts to go forward how will applying the brakes help as they only work on the rear wheels.
Egon