smashed my thumb on dump trailer

/ smashed my thumb on dump trailer #1  

jocww

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 550c, 443 bobcat, had an old john ford FEL gone
I was hooking up my dump trailer and dumping some wood i had in it so I could pick up som gravel. I plug it in and it lifts up and I go thats weird i didnt touch the controller I do and it slams down right on my thumb. Thank God it didnt take off my thumb just some bruising no swelling. Anyone have any idea why it did this.

I think there is air in the system the ram does operate sometimes but not all the time I can hear it whining as if its trying to lift but it wont. Also the controller seems to have a mind of its own as soon as I plug it in it will work like its suppose to or it will automatically try and start lifting. I havent used the trailer in over 6 months but when I last did it worked flawlessly Its been sitting in our field. When it raised up I got a look at the tank and it looked like fluid had spewed out at sometime but the trailer hasnt been used. :confused::confused:

TIA
Jon

/ smashed my thumb on dump trailer #2  
Get that thumb X-rayed, there may be bone damage to the joint that will show up later.

/ smashed my thumb on dump trailer
The controller was faulty, wires were frayed.

My thumb seems good it hurts alot less than if i had smashed it with a hammer. There is no swelling and minimal bruising. I have full range of motion.

/ smashed my thumb on dump trailer #4  
glad you are ok.

/ smashed my thumb on dump trailer #5  
Not saying you need to get it X-rayed, but my wife is an X-ray tech and there is very little correlation between pain, swelling, range of motion and broken body parts. That is it can be broke with very little pain and no swelling and full range of motion. Only an X-ray will tell you for sure.

Take Care
Doug in SW IA

/ smashed my thumb on dump trailer #6  
Glad you didn't hurt it worse. I remember the thread where all the TBN'ers posted about their missing/mangled digits. I made the list but some of you guys make me look like a hand model...YIKES!

Not saying you need to get it X-rayed, but my wife is an X-ray tech and there is very little correlation between pain, swelling, range of motion and broken body parts. That is it can be broke with very little pain and no swelling and full range of motion. Only an X-ray will tell you for sure.

Take Care
Doug in SW IA

True, all of our boys have been into dirt bikes and BMX and years ago the oldest one came home and said he thought he broke his thumb. We looked at it, iced it, took some Tylenol and said it was just sprained or maybe was hyper-extended a little. About a week later it was still bothering him and THEN we decided to error on the side of caution and take him for xrays...sure enough, we had been making him walk around for a week w/ a broken thumb. Not much they could do for it but immobilize it but I can tell you, it sure made us feel bad! Surprised they didn't call DCFS on us :eek: Middle son is in a hand cast now...never a dull moment at our house.