Fatal logging crew accident - SC

/ Fatal logging crew accident - SC #1  

kebo

Elite Member
Tractor
2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires
Saw this on a local TV website. It's not really tractors, but it is another reminder whenever you're around equipment, make sure the operator(s) know where you are at and can see you.

Worker Dies After Being Run Over on Logging Site

CALHOUN FALLS, S.C. (AP) -- A man working for a logging company in South Carolina has died on the job.

Authorities told WYFF-TV that 61-year-old Howard Wardlaw Junior was killed Thursday at a job site for Wilson Creek Logging near Calhoun Falls.

Investigators say Wardlaw was run over by a skidder being used to drag cut logs to a loading area where they were loaded onto trucks.

Authorities say Wardlaw worked for Wilson Creek Logging for eight years.

/ Fatal logging crew accident - SC #2  
Ya know,
I'm surprised that there isn't someone getting killed every week:eek:Watching Axe Man and swamp Logging on tv is a trip. I try and pick up any tips I can when it comes to falling trees. They stress safety , but with all the machinery thats going on it only takes a second for something to happen.:eek:

/ Fatal logging crew accident - SC #3  
I wonder if those companys on axe man are ever harrassed by OSHA for things an inspector might see on TV?
ALAN

/ Fatal logging crew accident - SC #4  
This could have been a person who worked most of his life in the woods and yet, this accident stilll happened. The obnoxious guy who was taking logs out of the river, was fined $10000 for removing "wildlife habitat". He was also cited for taking that which did not belong to him witout obtaining a permit. How he is back, I'll never know.

Last edited:
   / Fatal logging crew accident - SC
Guess he got his permits this time?????

/ Fatal logging crew accident - SC #6  
This could have been a person who worked most of his life in the woods and yet, this accident stilll happened. The obnoxious guy who was taking logs out of the river, was fined $10000 for removing "wildlife habitat". He was also cited for taking that which did not belong to him witout obtaining a permit. How he is back, I'll never know.

Yeah - guess it's better to just let them rot in the river. How much "greener" can you get than logging already felled tree's???????????? typical environmental stupidity interfering with someone making a living. No wonder MORE people aren't on welfare, it's SOOOOO much easier...........

/ Fatal logging crew accident - SC #7  
What do you think about the guy that feels around with his feet in that swamp water for logs?
You couldn't pay me enough to get in there .
I'd lose a leg to a gater the first time in or a toe to a snapper for sure.

/ Fatal logging crew accident - SC #8  
Stories like this are not as common as they use to be, But unfortunately the still happen. I have worked in 'the woods' for 18 years now and have had very close scrapes. Have done heli logging, park logging, fell timber for yarders all of it dangerous. But like tractors, farmn' ya know, it gets in your blood. Here are a few shots of what I have done or had a very intricate part of.

Attachments

• 4_foot_spruce.jpg
    4_foot_spruce.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 605
  • oldcomputer 03 1600.JPG
    oldcomputer 03 1600.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 319
  • oldcomputer 03 1872.jpg
    oldcomputer 03 1872.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 391
  • Big drag on solo joe - Copy.jpg
    Big drag on solo joe - Copy.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 629
   / Fatal logging crew accident - SC #9  
Stories like this are not as common as they use to be, But unfortunately the still happen. I have worked in 'the woods' for 18 years now and have had very close scrapes. Have done heli logging, park logging, fell timber for yarders all of it dangerous. But like tractors, farmn' ya know, it gets in your blood. Here are a few shots of what I have done or had a very intricate part of.

Fond memories for me. never did heli logging and never got to use a grapple skidder. But I have almost the same tractor as you with my JD 750 that I log with. I too had some close ones but I lived to retire and I'm not too busted up.

/ Fatal logging crew accident - SC #10  
Here ya go arrow... Logg'n firewood with the 790. This is the "loading" after falling, bucking, skidding. All done with the 790 and the 6 foot rhino blade and homemade forks.

Attachments

• 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 613
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 460