The Importance Of The Right Gloves

/ The Importance Of The Right Gloves #1  

wvpolekat

Platinum Member
Tractor
1947 Ford 2N and 2003 Kubota B7500
When working with my father in law on welding my grapple on, I was in charge of grinding, cleaning, basically the grunt work.

I was wearing a pair of the common leather work gloves with a cuff.

When moving the angle iron to do some grinding, it rolled over and landed above the relatively short cuff of the glove. Since he had just gotten done cutting some holes in it with the torch, it was a wee bit warm.

If I had been wearing proper gloves for handling something hot, this would not have happened.

The blister has since popped and the skin has come off, leaving a nice big raspberry.

Results are below:
Photo-0379.jpg

Photo-0380.jpg

/ The Importance Of The Right Gloves #2  
put soy sauce on burns as fast as you can, it helps tremendously. not an urban legend, used by army medics in iraq. check it out.

you will be surprised and start to put away those little packets at chinese restaurants!

mike

/ The Importance Of The Right Gloves #3  
What I found really helps is water, the colder the better or ice in a rag. The idea is to cool down the effected area to reduce the amount of damage to the skin cells. If the skin isn't broken even non-potable water is acceptable. Except for highly polluted water, the chance of infection in a closed wound is pretty low.

I hope everybody now knows any type of oils such as butter or margerine don't help and could make the burn worse. :ashamed:

/ The Importance Of The Right Gloves #4  
I'm not a doctor and I'm not giving medical advice, but I take 3 Advil when I get a burn. The claim is that this halts the slow continuation of a burn that goes on for a long time after the initial burn event. This is a claim I've heard and not one that I make. The pain relief is an added bonus.

Running cold water of the area also good, reduces damage to cells, as already mention keep the risk of infection in mind.

Had not heard about soy, I'll save a packet or two.

Pete

/ The Importance Of The Right Gloves #5  
3 Advil when I get a burn...
Advil is Ibuprofen which is an anti-inflamitory compound..it makes sense that it would help burns...

Personally, I rarely if ever even bother putting on gloves to do most welding...sometimes I wish I would have been wearing some but for the most part they are too much of a hindrance...but if I need to handle something hot I always have them handy...

/ The Importance Of The Right Gloves #6  
This seems more like bad luck than the wrong gloves.
On most days if all I end up with is a small burn blister, I feel lucky. :D

/ The Importance Of The Right Gloves #7  
I want to say ibuprofen, but couldn't get close on the spelling and the spell checker was no help, no hints :eek:. And yes it's the anti-inflamitory nature of it that helps.

tnx for the right spelling /pine.

Pete

/ The Importance Of The Right Gloves #8  
And longer cuffs just means the burn could happen just past those cuffs. :)

Getting the "right" gloves is akin to being told by the weather people to go to a safe place if they hear the tornado sirens. Good advice, just that no one knows where that safe place is at, until after the storm.

So the gloves were right until the conditions changed, and after the burn, you knew they were not right anymore. :) :D

/ The Importance Of The Right Gloves #9  
ill share my eagle scout first aid stuff ...

when you get a burn cool running water is what you want, then keep it clean do not bandage for a while if its bad you may have to stop work in order to keep clean bandages and creams to soon will insulate the burn.

/ The Importance Of The Right Gloves #10  
Good leason at a, somewhat, low cost. Handling any hot or sharp metal is potentially dangerous. And now everyone can say how it's never happened to them.

At least you were wearing leather gloves. Can't say how often I've seen someone grinding or cutting metal with these new synthetic material gloves that can melt when heated. THoise are good for a lot of things but handling hot metal or doing any cutting with a torch or even grinding is not the job for those.

Another thing, long sleeves and keep your welding cap over your ears if there is any chance of splatter getting in your ear. Ever have a hole burned in your eardrum?

:D