Diesel fume headaches?

/ Diesel fume headaches? #11  
Dave,I,ve noticed a woosey feeling at times too and think it may just be the distance of the object you,re looking at.I read just fine with the bifocals but there seems to be a fine line between just right and feeling like the cookies are coming back up!I guess we,re both dated now:laughing:Dave

/ Diesel fume headaches? #12  
Bstrom,

I know exactly how you feel....I keep Tylenol Sinus at home, in my truck, boat, hunting pack......you name it , I gottem there.....I can be behind a diesel truck in traffic for just a minute or two and I still smell the fumes in my sinuses for an hour.....the smell doesn't bother me, the headaches do......

10 yrs ago nothin' bothered me ( diesel and chem fumes, welding and grinding dust, concrete dust ect.)....but that has changed....I could be welding today and later that night or next day it bothers me.....

when I let the headache get too far, then I use hot, wet facecloth with heating pad over face and crash in bed, sleep it off and VIOLA.....Headache's Gone.....

Last edited:
   / Diesel fume headaches? #13  
Might also think about how much time you spend twisted around looking over your shoulder at the plow/blade/rake. I know that will trigger a headache for me. Maybe age related.

/ Diesel fume headaches? #14  
Carbon monoxide give many people headches. People have different tolerance levels. Alcohol makes it worse too.

/ Diesel fume headaches? #15  
It doesn't have to be the Diesel fumes, just the CO that causes the headaches. You can get them from gas engines also. Some people are like canaries and detect it at lower levels than others.
I worked around running Diesels for 12 to 18 hours a day and the vibrations didn't cause headaches. Vibration will cause your joints to breakdown such as if you were using a jackhammer though. Hands, wrists develope carpal tunnel and your back can develope Degenerative Disc Disease onset at an early age. This will give you more info than most will want to read.

/ Diesel fume headaches? #16  
Dave,I,ve noticed a woosey feeling at times too and think it may just be the distance of the object you,re looking at.I read just fine with the bifocals but there seems to be a fine line between just right and feeling like the cookies are coming back up!I guess we,re both dated now:laughing:Dave

Oh, I feel dated more and more. My 'best if used by' date is behind me I'm sure :laughing: I think it is the distance for bifocals, I don't know what else it could be.
Dave.

/ Diesel fume headaches? #17  
It doesn't have to be the Diesel fumes, just the CO that causes the headaches. You can get them from gas engines also. Some people are like canaries and detect it at lower levels than others.
I worked around running Diesels for 12 to 18 hours a day and the vibrations didn't cause headaches. Vibration will cause your joints to breakdown such as if you were using a jackhammer though. Hands, wrists develope carpal tunnel and your back can develope Degenerative Disc Disease onset at an early age. This will give you more info than most will want to read.

The 'dead hand' or 'white finger' condition mentioned in the link is a big concern to people who operate chainsaws, I've also noticed the same tingle in the fingers from holding the tractor steering wheel all day. Gloves help deaden the vibration transmission into your hand.
Dave.

/ Diesel fume headaches?
Yeah - I'm kinda thinking it's the CO in my case. When I didn't operate my tractor for a couple of weeks I didn't get them. That what got me thinking. I think my sinuses have gotten more sensitive as I've aged and I've been exposed to a lot of wood dust because of my job.

I 'd hate to have to operate my tractor with a respirator on:rolleyes: I also have hooked up my ballast box in the garage with door open and idling while it was warming up a few times. Not good probably.

Oh and I did actually have a drink one or two nights after operating, probably did make it worse. The headaches are very debilitating when they happen, it sucks.

/ Diesel fume headaches? #19  
The 'dead hand' or 'white finger' condition mentioned in the link is a big concern to people who operate chainsaws, I've also noticed the same tingle in the fingers from holding the tractor steering wheel all day. Gloves help deaden the vibration transmission into your hand.
Dave.

From my harley riding days I had to let go of the handle bars and shake my hands around to get the blood flowing again.Been to sturgis many times and between gas stops shaking the hands worked.If I didn,t do that the fingers turned white and then would go numb.I,m well past the best if used by date too.Dave

/ Diesel fume headaches? #20  
Anybody else get headaches from diesel fumes? Seems like almost every time I work with my tractor I wake up with a headache. I'm trying to figure out if it's the diesel fumes or what. I've taken to turning it off rather than letting it idle when I'm working on the ground near it for more than a few minutes even though it is wear and tear on the starter system.

Not sure if the diesel is the cause of the headaches or not but sure seems like it. It blows right out the front there. I actually don't mind the smell of clean diesel fumes but I guess it's not really meant for humans to be breathing.

Diesel fumes--no problem.
Budweiser--big headache (which is why I'm a MGD guy).