Diesel fume headaches?

/ Diesel fume headaches? #52  
With some of the engines I've seen, yes.:laughing: Alco locos are a prime example. And GE carried on the tradition. Open up the throttle on either of them and you'd think that you were running a steam loco. The turbos wound up but the smoke didn't go away. Running rich produces the most CO.

I win!! I win!! Turbos kill you faster!

/ Diesel fume headaches? #53  
There is a condition called Boater's Fatigue which can occur with four hours of exposure to noise, vibration, sun, glare and wind. Now I don't think we get much wind from our Go Fast Tractors but I know that if I do not wear hearing protection I get tired very quickly when running the tractor. The sun and heat gets to me as well.

Just running an open station tractor can be tiring which depending on the person could lead to headaches. Not to mentioned the sun beating down on you and not staying hydrated.

I usually get neck and back pain when mowing or box blading since I am constantly looking over my right shoulder. I don't get headaches that I can remember but the neck and back sure can hurt. Though the bone cracker we go to has really helped my back injury. :thumbsup:

Later,
Dan

Hey, every once in a while as you are blading, stop and turn your head all the way to the left as far as you can. Help it out with your arm if you need to. This will keep things evened out and you will feel a whole lots better, even more better, that evening or the next day.

/ Diesel fume headaches? #54  
You should be wearing a good quality dust mask 3M model 93 or a 3M welding fumes mask when operating and apply the brakes and shut it down when you are working around it when stopped.

The issue is that you do not have an exhaust gas scrubber and thew fumes are no healthy period if a catalytic scrubber or water scrubber is not used.

You can purchase catalytic scrubbers for your engine size if wish to do so.

leonz;)

/ Diesel fume headaches? #55  
Anybody else get headaches from diesel fumes? Seems like almost every time I work with my tractor I wake up with a headache. I'm trying to figure out if it's the diesel fumes or what. I've taken to turning it off rather than letting it idle when I'm working on the ground near it for more than a few minutes even though it is wear and tear on the starter system.

Not sure if the diesel is the cause of the headaches or not but sure seems like it. It blows right out the front there. I actually don't mind the smell of clean diesel fumes but I guess it's not really meant for humans to be breathing.

Just came across this thread , do you think it may be the fumes coming from the crankcase breather ? I changed the oil in my excavator once and immediately started to get headaches and sore eyes . I found it was the fumes from the engine . I took the remainder of the oil back too BP and asked them to test it . They said I was wrong but I refused to pay for the 5 drums on my account that I had bought unless they did . I spoke in person to their chemist a couple of weeks later , he said no wonder I was being affected , the Sulphur levels in the oil were 3 times higher than normal , they deleted the bill . I changed the oil to GTX Super and had no more trouble .

/ Diesel fume headaches? #56  
I believe most modern tractors vent the crankcase back into the intake.

Rob