Diesel fume headaches?

/ Diesel fume headaches? #1  

bstrom

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota b2620
Anybody else get headaches from diesel fumes? Seems like almost every time I work with my tractor I wake up with a headache. I'm trying to figure out if it's the diesel fumes or what. I've taken to turning it off rather than letting it idle when I'm working on the ground near it for more than a few minutes even though it is wear and tear on the starter system.

Not sure if the diesel is the cause of the headaches or not but sure seems like it. It blows right out the front there. I actually don't mind the smell of clean diesel fumes but I guess it's not really meant for humans to be breathing.

/ Diesel fume headaches? #2  
I like the smell myself, but maybe I'm a sick individual. Two other thoughts on the hadaches, vibrations and noise. Do you wear ear muffs? If you are just tooling around you may not need them, but if the machine is working hard or mowing, try some hearing protection.

The other thought is vibrations. I've only run my machine for 8 hours straight a few times, but when I get off, it feels like I've been beat up. I think its the constant vibrations and concentration it takes to run the machine. How long does it take to get the headaches? Maybe try taking a break a little more often.

/ Diesel fume headaches? #3  
Nothing stinks worse than a city bus but tractor doesn,t bother.Go figure

/ Diesel fume headaches?
Hey - do you think the headaches might have something to do with three Margaritas I have been having after coming in from working outside?:D Just kiddin.

/ Diesel fume headaches? #6  
I think it has more to do with the vibrations and jarring than it does the diesel fumes.

/ Diesel fume headaches? #7  
i also think that a lot of us forget how much we need to drink (water) while we are on our tractors. Ya it might not be "manual labor" but that sun will dehydrate us.

/ Diesel fume headaches? #8  
No headache from diesel fumes. But one small glass of red wine...kapow!!

Wouldn't be any fun to be sensitive to the diesel smell/fumes.

But a headache for me is cured quickly with one Excedrin. For others, that doesn't work. We are all some different. :)

/ Diesel fume headaches? #9  
If you operated your tractor in an enclosed space (garage or barn), I could see the fumes giving you a headache.
However, I think it's the clenching of your body's muscles (especially your neck) while operating causing your headaches...if it's tractor related.

/ Diesel fume headaches? #10  
I have an unproven medical theory that if you have ever had a dose of carbon monoxide poisoning, you remain very sensitive to it for a long time.

I also have a problem which may be related to bifocals. If I get under the tractor for maintenance laying on my back, I get this very strong seasick feeling that comes on rapidly. This is with the engine off, so no diesel fumes. I don't get it when I lay on my back in bed and read just about every night. Is it all in my head?? :)
Dave.