Brake Cleaner & HEAT = VERY DANGEROUS !!!

/ Brake Cleaner & HEAT = VERY DANGEROUS !!! #1  

49tandc

Tractor
SAME Argon 50/FEL; IH B414
Chances are that some of you use brake cleaner to degrease parts. I wait until local Auto Parts place puts it on sale (buy-1-get-1-free), then I buy a case. We glance at the caution label on the back and forget about it. It is some NASTY stuff - not to be triffled with. I got this from the ECJ5 board, but it applies to us all. Please read:

Brake Cleaner = Phosgene Article

"So long story short, he was burning up his liver, kidneys, urinary tract, and possibly his entire GI tract. Acronym for the day-MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets). All retailers of these agents are required by law to have the MSDS available for evey item they sale. If you don't know about the stuff, get one and read it. You will be glad you did. ALSO Be aware that most of these agents can cross the skin barrier. You don't always have to breathe or ingest them."

I will continue to use it, but with a lot more caution...

49T&C

/ Brake Cleaner & HEAT = VERY DANGEROUS !!! #2  
Just read the label.
Plenty of info without the Gov't fears and hype to try and scare the c$$p outta everyone.

Gets so when someone comes into my garage, they go into a panic attack and are afraid for their childrens well being (and that just from seeing it on the shelf).

/ Brake Cleaner & HEAT = VERY DANGEROUS !!! #3  
guess i better go hide my 'farm sized' jug of permethrin, and hide the paint hardner.. :)

soundguy

/ Brake Cleaner & HEAT = VERY DANGEROUS !!! #4  
Good information 49tandc. It's a serious enough event that it doesn't hurt to warn people multiple times about it...there's always new people that haven't heard about it. (I've seen the warning before on several other sites myself). Nothing on the cans warn you to not weld parts after using it to degrease them, they just tell you to not burn it. That leaves a lot of people thinking that once you dry it off to weld, there is nothing there to burn but there is residue left behind that can also be dangerous once you weld on the steel.

/ Brake Cleaner & HEAT = VERY DANGEROUS !!!
That is what I was doing. I was building a dummy M2HB for a WW2 Jeep. After I cut out the side panels and before I welded up the parts, I'd hit it with the Brake Cleaner to get a clean surface. It evaporates so quickly, I didn't think too much about it. I will continue to use it, just more aware of it & cautious. We all weld on old pitted steel at times, This just make me stop and take a step back.

49T&C

/ Brake Cleaner & HEAT = VERY DANGEROUS !!! #6  
Seems like a good idea to avoid brake cleaner and welding. WIth such a small dosage needed to kill there is no margin for error.

/ Brake Cleaner & HEAT = VERY DANGEROUS !!! #7  
what about the part washing systems, with the drum and spray nozzle? I noticed when using that it made my hands tingle, do you guys know whats in that stuff? I have since switched to simple green for light duty cleaning and a generic (purple power) for degreasing tractor engines and parts.

/ Brake Cleaner & HEAT = VERY DANGEROUS !!! #8  
I have posted this subject on break cleaner before. Really BAD, BAD stuff. Not to be taken lightly, a little whiff can put you in the grave. A very common problem cleaning parts to be welded, the heat and UV will break the cleaner down. Any exposure MUST be considered a MEDICAL EMERGENCY, do not wait to see how you feel tomorrow. It is all about NOW, get to the ER NOW!!!

/ Brake Cleaner & HEAT = VERY DANGEROUS !!! #9  
I don't know about the rest of you guys but if I were a welder and I am not , I sure would not be using any brake cleaner nor would I be welding any used steel I did not know the history of unless there is some fool proof way to clean it and make it perfectly safe...We had a landscaper here a few years ago that sprayed some Paraquat to kill whatever and the wind carried it to him and he breathed it and died within 24 hours...it killed his lungs...Nothing...repeat...Nothing is worth doing something that is beyond the normal risks of life....We have enough of those...Be careful...

/ Brake Cleaner & HEAT = VERY DANGEROUS !!! #10  
is this limited to brake cleaner.. or apply to carb cleaner too?

I tend to use the two interchangeably when I'm at the store buying it.. I do weld too.. though no mig so no argon..

soundguy