Riding mower accident claims 80yr old victim.....

/ Riding mower accident claims 80yr old victim..... #1  

kebo

Elite Member
Tractor
2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires
SC man killed when lawn tractor overturns
The Associated Press

MAYO, S.C. A South Carolina man has died after his lawn tractor overturned on him.

Multiple media outlets reported that 80-year-old William Blaine Price of Mayo died in the accident about 6 p.m. Wednesday at his Spartanburg County home.

Coroner's investigator Mike Shaw says Price was doing yard work when his lawn tractor lost traction on an embankment and overturned. Shaw says Price died at the scene.

The death is still under investigation.

Read more: SC man killed when lawn tractor overturns - State & Regional - Wire - TheState.com

/ Riding mower accident claims 80yr old victim..... #2  
Wilburn Norwood

This 73 year old cattle farmer lived in the next town over and I have no details.

We all know about our close calls. Age slows one down in more than one way but I am having a hard time getting that message to my brain.

Let us keep our families in mind when we start to do risky business on our tractors.

/ Riding mower accident claims 80yr old victim..... #3  
The guy was 80 years old... So it poses the question, was the prime cause of death: that lawn mower, or just his old age ?

/ Riding mower accident claims 80yr old victim..... #4  
That may not be knowable but we all know (may ignore it) as we age we can loose our mental/physical edge on safety matters.:thumbsup:

/ Riding mower accident claims 80yr old victim..... #5  
That may not be knowable but we all know (may ignore it) as we age we can loose our mental/physical edge on safety matters.:thumbsup:

My neighbour just turned 81, when doing silage he doesnt take time for lunch, but keeps on driving his Deere 6320 and self loading forage wagon from the time when morning milking is done, till dusk, while his nephew (which takes over the farm) rolls the heap.
Past year he said to his nephew that he wouldnt help him with the silage anymore, as long as his nephew let his own kids, i think 6 to 10 years old, play near the silage heap, or ride with him on the tractor on the high and narrow silage heap. The nephew (also in his 40's by the way) found it exaggerating, but my neighbour persisted, so the kids had to stay away from the silage heap.

Same neighbor (the nephew) had a plugged suction hose of the manure tanker 2 years ago. After taking it out of the pit, he pulled the other neighbours medium sized dog out of the 6" hose... He left the pit open for a couple of days because he had gotten the flu.
During this weekend that the other neighbor was wondering why his dog didnt come home, his kids were roaming around the farm the whole weekend...

Sometimes (old) age doesnt say much about safety awareness... :)