chain saw chains

/ chain saw chains #1  

20 20

Elite Member
Okay there has been a lot of talk about safety devices and just good ole companies covering their butts. I went to a sale the other day on stihl chains buy one get one :thumbsup:{came to just over $8.00 per chain :D} I use a 3/8 on my 310 NOT anti kick back, cuts like crazy, actually hate the anti kick back chains. I had to sign a waver before they'd let me buy the chain. Whats next, are the bureaucrats going to pass another stinkin law :mad:? Maybe we'll have to buy a lic to own a chainsaw??? These cover the butt save yourself laws are really getting to be annoying.

PS oh yeh if ya live in central NY go to the fonda stihl dealer before the 7th of aug. The sale ends then.

/ chain saw chains #2  

If chainsaws are outlawed, only outlaws will have chainsaws........ Ya, it is getting ridiculous! :smiley_aafz:

/ chain saw chains #3  
safety chain's been around for 20, maybe 25 years. Just like the safety switches on seats, pto's and so on. Because people get hurt with things they dont understand or misuse, lawsuits have happened. some things we just gotta live with.

/ chain saw chains #4  
It is ashame that people can be rewared by our legal system for being stupid, or because they didn't read the instructions. Yes, some companies have not been responsible and they desirved to pay up but the vast majority of cases are user stupidity. Just look at the number of stickers on something as simple as an extention cord or more complex such as a utility tractor, each sticker the result of a lost court case.

/ chain saw chains #5  
Okay there has been a lot of talk about safety devices and just good ole companies covering their butts. I went to a sale the other day on stihl chains buy one get one :thumbsup:{came to just over $8.00 per chain :D} I use a 3/8 on my 310 NOT anti kick back, cuts like crazy, actually hate the anti kick back chains. I had to sign a waver before they'd let me buy the chain. Whats next, are the bureaucrats going to pass another stinkin law :mad:? Maybe we'll have to buy a lic to own a chainsaw??? These cover the butt save yourself laws are really getting to be annoying.

PS oh yeh if ya live in central NY go to the fonda stihl dealer before the 7th of aug. The sale ends then.

Chisel chains on a chainsaw turns what was a dangerous piece of equipment into one not only dangerous but in all likelihood will cause serious injury in the hands of an occasional user. Professional loggers safely use full chisel chains all the time, day in and day out without a problem. We also live in the USA (Us Sue All). I don't think we will see another law, nor will we have to purchase a license to own a chain saw. The waiver you had to sign protects the merchant in case someone buys a full chisel chain and serious injury occurs. In other words, "Use At Your Own Risk And Understand If Injured You Will Not Be Able To Sue".

/ chain saw chains #6  
I call the Safety Chain "training wheel chain" It helps a little in preventing kickback. A chainsaw is an accident waiting to happen is how I feel about it. So with due caution and experience your chances of walking away after a long day around a saw is better. I started using chainsaws when I was 10.
40+ years later I still am nervous when I am using them. This is coming from a guy that climbs big tree's to take them down. The safety chain for the novice is not a bad idea matched with the right bar and engine. When you are tired and dehydrated put the saw down and take a break. Or come back later. The tree is not worth dying or losing a body part over.
I don't really want to sign a waiver for a loop of chain. That is getting a bit ridiculous. So is signing for bullets when I have to by them.. Big Brother is watching. So are the lawyers that are out for an easy buck....
Ok I will climb off my stump now and quit preaching.

/ chain saw chains #7  

Great price on chain. Read over on arborist site about a guy buying a chain in PA and had to sign a waiver. If memory serves me right I think it was also a Stihl dealer. Sounds like a lawyer somewhere found a new angle and the companies are trying to head it off at the pass. I just bought some full chislel from Baileys online. There is a warning about the safety issue but that was all.

/ chain saw chains #8  
mind listing your dealer's contact info? i'd love to order a few chains @ $8-9 each. my local guy wants $25.

-matt

/ chain saw chains #10  
I did not know there was such a thing as an anti kickback chain. Can somebody explain to me the difference please?