Seat Belts

/ Seat Belts #1  

mjarrels

Elite Member
Tractor
1949 farmall, 1961 Fordson Dexta, 1986 Duetz Allis, 2001 Kubota.
Three local kids in their 20's were killed within two day in car accidents... NONE wearing seat belts. I don't understand what they were thinking. PLEASE folks... buckle up.

mark

/ Seat Belts #2  
Three local kids in their 20's were killed within two day in car accidents... NONE wearing seat belts. I don't understand what they were thinking. PLEASE folks... buckle up.

mark

Do you know for sure they would have lived if wearing them?

/ Seat Belts #3  
A sad story indeed. One can only speculate the survivability with seat belts in these accidents. As a 30 year veteran of the fire service, and currently a Fire/Rescue Chief, I can honestly say based on my experience, the ratio of fatalities with seatbelts vs withoutare dramatically low. The seat belt laws aside, common sense should tell us our odds are better with them than without them. I don't believe common sense can be mandated by any law, as the number of accidents we see where people are not wearing them is still high. I believe people should be allowed to choose for themselves, just develop and use common sense.

/ Seat Belts #4  
I can kinda understand people who don't want to wear their seat belt. It's one more thing to have to do when you get in a vehicle, but it's also like a lot of other things. Once you get accustomed to it, it's really no trouble. I started wearing a seat belt in 1962; installed the belts myself because the car did not come with them. And while no one ever knows for an absolute certainty, there's little doubt that I would have been killed on December 29, 1965, if it hadn't been for the seat belt I was wearing as a front seat passenger when my partner hit a tree almost dead center of the car's front end. So it's so much a habit for me, that I just wouldn't feel comfortable without the belt on.

/ Seat Belts #5  
In 29 years in the Fire service, I don't recall ever cutting a seat belt to get a dead victim out out of a vehicle! I'll continue to wear mine!!!!!! ~~ grnspot110

/ Seat Belts #6  
In 29 years in the Fire service, I don't recall ever cutting a seat belt to get a dead victim out out of a vehicle! I'll continue to wear mine!!!!!! ~~ grnspot110

that statement right there.. ought to be on a BILLBOARD!!

soundguy

/ Seat Belts #7  
I was spreading dirt up and down a very steep slope today, and the seat belt is the only thing that kept me on the tractor, I was so far foward in the seat I had trouble pressing the hydro pedal to go back up the slope(backwards) It was hard to rock my foot back. Without the seat belt, I would have kissed the instrument panel, or run the risk of sliding forward off of the tractor! Sure glad I had it on!.. The L3400 with ballast box, and loaded tires, never spun a tire.
James K0UA

/ Seat Belts #8  
I addred rops to my primary mowing tractor JUST SO i coul also get seatbelts..

soundguy

/ Seat Belts #9  
In 29 years in the Fire service, I don't recall ever cutting a seat belt to get a dead victim out out of a vehicle! I'll continue to wear mine!!!!!!
I had a friend of mine, drove for the same company I currently do .... was involved in an accident with a plow truck a couple of winters ago up in New Hampshire .....

Plow truck was plowing the inside shoulder ..... and my friend was behind another vehicle and went into the left lane to go around and pass the vehicle ahead of him ....

Right side of the plow caught his van and peeled it open like a can opener - the entire left side of his vehicle was wrapped all the way around the rear ....

He was wearing his lap/shoulder belt ..... which is attached to the driver's side wall ..... he was decapitated instantly, and yes - he didn't have to be cut out of the vehicle.

Regardless, I still wear mine - whether it's an on-road or off-road vehicle.

/ Seat Belts #10  
Saved my life. Kept me in the seat so I could control the car. I was on an expressway. You have to be there to understand what is happening in a major accident and I'll bet people who have been in them wear belts.

Rob