I'm Stumped

/ I'm Stumped #1  

AchingBack

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2615HST
I'm sure these folks won't try this at home, (again). Roseburg couple injured while removing yard stump | The News-Review - NRtoday.com
A Roseburg couple's attempt to remove a stump from their yard sent both of them to the hospital when a cable stretched across their neighborhood road was struck by a vehicle, causing the stump to bolt out of the ground and strike both of them.

Stephen McKisick, 66, tied a small cable around the stump in his yard in the 3100 block of Chateau Avenue and attached the other end to his pickup just after 6 p.m. Tuesday. He drove across the street and into his neighbor's driveway in an attempt to pull the stump out leaving a small, barely visible cable stretched across the road, police said.

Shanna Cooley, 38, of Roseburg was driving a 2004 Ford Expedition down the two-lane, residential street and didn't see the cable. Her vehicle hit the cable, causing the stump to come out of the ground.

Police said the stump hit Stephen McKisick's wife, Susan, who was standing near it, causing serious injuries to her hip and pelvic area. The stump continued on, striking the McKisick home and Stephen McKisick, who had gotten out of his vehicle.

The stump knocked Stephen McKisick down, causing him to strike his head on the sidewalk.

Both were transported by ambulance to Mercy Medical Center, where Stephen McKisick was treated and released. Susan McKisick was transferred to Sacred Heart Hospital at RiverBend in Springfield, where she was listed as a patient this morning. Her condition was unavailable.

Stephen McKisick said this morning his wife was 電oing OK but declined to comment on the accident.

Roseburg police Sgt. Aaron Dunbar said a misdemeanor traffic charge of reckless endangering may be filed against Stephen McKisick, though a decision hasn't been made.

典here were a number of mistakes made. There are plenty of things that could have been done differently to prevent this from happening. It's a real tragedy, Dunbar said.

Dunbar said there was no indications the driver did anything wrong. Her vehicle sustained minor damage.

/ I'm Stumped #2  
Could almost make a blonde joke out of this one. :)

Just can't protect everyone from doing stupid/dumb things.
But guess it did accomplish getting the stump out. :D

/ I'm Stumped #3  
One of those 'fact is stranger than fiction' events.

The moral of this story is don't get **** about stumps. :laughing:

I don't mess with anything within reach of the road. I don't have a flagman, traffic cones, etc. So, I wait for the right equipment to be present.
Dave.

/ I'm Stumped #4  
This is the kind of thing that makes me believe that some people are just dumber then bricks. It would be hazardous to cross your driveway with a cable like that but a county road? geeeez. Where is that "I'm stupid sign"? should have been attached to that cable, their car, the stump, and their shirts. See then that driver would have known to be extra careful. She could have stopped had lunch all the while being entertained by stupid people and their hazardous exploits.
Next thing you know we will have even more laws hit the books because of these, said, "stupid people".
I just hate ..... well you get the point.

Roseburg?, probably drugs and alcohol involved. That is the drug capital of Oregon.

/ I'm Stumped #5  
This is the kind of thing that makes me believe that some people are just dumber then bricks. It would be hazardous to cross your driveway with a cable like that but a county road? geeeez. Where is that "I'm stupid sign"? should have been attached to that cable, their car, the stump, and their shirts. See then that driver would have known to be extra careful. She could have stopped had lunch all the while being entertained by stupid people and their hazardous exploits.
Next thing you know we will have even more laws hit the books because of these, said, "stupid people".
I just hate ..... well you get the point.

Roseburg?, probably drugs and alcohol involved. That is the drug capital of Oregon.

Amen - You said it all !:thumbsup:

/ I'm Stumped #6  
Wow, talk about strange.

The stump came out of the ground and, (a) hit the wife who was near the stump, (b) hit the house (c) traveled across the road and (d) hit the husband who was standing in the neighbors driveway next to his truck.

This was a not so smart thing to do but unbelievable bad luck was also involved. Talk about being in the wrong places at the wrong times.

MoKelly

/ I'm Stumped #7  
This reminds me of the saying "If stupidity isn't expensive, it should at least be painful."

Sounds like it was both in this case. :D

"Roseburg police Sgt. Aaron Dunbar said a misdemeanor traffic charge of reckless endangering may be filed against Stephen McKisick, though a decision hasn't been made."

Wanna bet there'd be no doubt about that if he was the driver that hit the cable?

Those two old fools were lucky no innocent person was injured or killed.

consaka, I'm with you on the signage deal! lol

/ I'm Stumped #8  
Amazingly dumb....
I remember an incident many years ago where a local utility worker was running a line across a road with the rolled up cable on his shoulder...car hit it and removed his arm.

/ I'm Stumped #9  
Amazingly dumb....
I remember an incident many years ago where a local utility worker was running a line across a road with the rolled up cable on his shoulder...car hit it and removed his arm.

Back when I worked on a line crew for the provincial electrical utility, stringing conductor across a roadway, any roadway, was always a real challenge. Most drivers would slow down to a decent speed, but some would just blow through the work site at full speed, even with cops sitting there in a patrol car with their lights going. One time a car blasted by me, running over the conductor as I kept my foot on it trying to hold it down (at least on my side of the car) and a good hundred yards PAST me, hit the brakes and came to a screeching halt. A little late methinks... Another time I was the designated Flagman at another site and trying to get a particular car to take notice of me, waving a big hand held stop sign up to them. Whacked their passenger side mirror as they roared past but they never slowed a bit, not even any brake lights.

/ I'm Stumped #10  
Back when I worked on a line crew for the provincial electrical utility, stringing conductor across a roadway, ... Another time I was the designated Flagman at another site and trying to get a particular car to take notice of me, waving a big hand held stop sign up to them. Whacked their passenger side mirror as they roared past but they never slowed a bit, not even any brake lights.

I wonder if somebody couldn't make a light, portable, speed bump to throw out across the road in these situations, just to encourage folks to slow down?
Maybe it wouldn't work, though...this guy's cable didn't even do the trick!!

BOB