Another one that shouldn't have happened

/ Another one that shouldn't have happened #1  

timswi

Tractor
Kubota BX23 TLB, Kubota RTV1100, Kubota Z724 & Polaris RZR 900 Trail
Beaver man killed in tractor accident
Tuesday, September 07, 2010
By Paula Reed Ward, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
A man from Beaver was killed Sunday when he was dragged underneath a tractor.

Richard D. Porter, 52, was working with his cousin to move large logs onto a trailer with the tractor about 1:40 p.m. in Highland, Clarion County.

According to Pennsylvania State Police, Mr. Porter started the tractor while standing next to it, and because it was in gear on a slight downhill grade, it began moving.

Mr. Porter ran along next to it, police said, either to get onto it or to stop it, but was dragged underneath.

The tractor crashed into a pickup truck and stopped. Those on the scene used floor jacks to get the tractor off Mr. Porter, police said, but he was pronounced dead at Clarion Hospital.

Read more: Beaver man killed in tractor accident

/ Another one that shouldn't have happened #2  
Beaver man killed in tractor accident
Tuesday, September 07, 2010
By Paula Reed Ward, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
A man from Beaver was killed Sunday when he was dragged underneath a tractor.

Richard D. Porter, 52, was working with his cousin to move large logs onto a trailer with the tractor about 1:40 p.m. in Highland, Clarion County.

According to Pennsylvania State Police, Mr. Porter started the tractor while standing next to it, and because it was in gear on a slight downhill grade, it began moving.

Mr. Porter ran along next to it, police said, either to get onto it or to stop it, but was dragged underneath.

The tractor crashed into a pickup truck and stopped. Those on the scene used floor jacks to get the tractor off Mr. Porter, police said, but he was pronounced dead at Clarion Hospital.

Read more: Beaver man killed in tractor accident

How sad , I know if it was my tractor getting away from me I'd try to get in to stop it too ,not even thinking of what could happen . I'm sure alot of guys would do the same .
I've been told never to start your tractor unless your on it ,and have worked with a guy that has had the same thing happen to him .Only he was working on the starter when it started up and ran over him messed him up really bad!! Sorry to hear things like this happen.

/ Another one that shouldn't have happened #3  
Very sad. I thought there were safety devices that didn't allow a tractor to be started while in gear? How could he have started the tractor standing next to the tractor while the tractor was in gear? Did he turn the key with one hand and push down on the clutch with the other hand?

Or, was it a old tractor without safety devices.

MoKelly

/ Another one that shouldn't have happened #6  
Moderator: This looks like spam to me. What do you think? 5 posts and he's droping in links for a tree service?

Been reported (use the little white triangle lower left corner).

Same link in at least 3 TBN forums

/ Another one that shouldn't have happened #7  
How sad , I know if it was my tractor getting away from me I'd try to get in to stop it too ,not even thinking of what could happen . I'm sure alot of guys would do the same .
I've been told never to start your tractor unless your on it ,and have worked with a guy that has had the same thing happen to him .Only he was working on the starter when it started up and ran over him messed him up really bad!! Sorry to hear things like this happen.

If a tractor started to move I think my first instinct would be to get on it to try to controls it. You would need to make a really quick judgment as to the greater risk, your our others around the moving tractor.

When I purchased my tractor the dealer started it up while standing on the on the ground using 1 hand to press the clutch and 1 had to turn the key. I was rather shocked and jumped back but he assured me it was in neutral (no operator presence switch on this tractor).

WHen I was about 14 years old I was working in a field unloading tobacco stalks. I was on the trailer and my coworker was driving. he stopped and jumped off the tractor but it was still in gear and started to move across a field and head for a ravine. I was still on the trailer and jumped from the trailer to the tractor to stop it. As a kid we had a good laugh about it. As a Father it makes me sudder to think of the risks I took to save an 8N tractor .