Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 714151617
    Elite Member Redneck in training's Avatar
    Tractor
    TYM 330 HST with FEL

Default Re: How to kill yourself without knowing

I learned the weight distribution right after I bought my first tractor. The tractor had seeping sight glass on the transmission. The dealer gave new improved one and told me to park the tractor nose down on a slope so there will not be oil visible in the sight poke it out press new one in.
    So I unhitched my box blade to get better access to it and drove to the near slope. Once the rear wheels reached the edge of the slope the tractor gained speed and I was on the bottom of the slope in big hurry, made a half doughnut, balanced on two wheels for a second and fortunately settled on all four.
    The rear wheels had no traction and were just sliding down and I had front wheel drive disengaged. Now I made it a rule when the FEL is on BB is on too and front wheel drive engaged. I will add more weight to the BB in near future to make it engage ground more agressively and put more weight on rear wheel to lessen stress on the front drive.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    B6100DT

Quote Originally Posted by rd_macgregor View Post

I wonder if DU would be cheaper than tungsten, since it (DU) is almost 99% the density of tungsten? Plus, you'd be helping the nuclear power industry get rid of bothersome waste (and, if you got the really fresh stuff, you wouldn't need backup lights on your tractor!).

BOB

You would think so, but no (at least not to civilions). I'd checked into that too some years back when researching tungsten for weights (as an alternative to lead).

Dan C.
    B6100DT, FEL, BH

Tractor
    John Deere 4520 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck in training View Post
    When you lift the rear wheels off the ground the tractor will turn sideways only to the stop restricting front axle motion.
    Not necessarily, especially if you're on uneven ground or a slight slope. Better safe (rear ballast) then sorry...
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Tractor
    2008 T2220

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    Not necessarily, especially if you're on uneven ground or a slight slope. Better safe (rear ballast) then sorry...
    Actually did this tonight. Wouldn't intend on doing it often but was moving an old C-band satellite dish, post, and concrete base I had just ripped from the ground. Wasn't super heavy, but the full length of the dish at the end of the mast was straight out from the front of the tractor. I placed the forks slightly less than the diameter of the base apart and forced them around it, then rocked and pulled. Once out I just kept driving forward to its final resting place.

Anyway, one part of the route involved a slight downslope which finally moved the CG far enough forward to lift the rear up and over, canting the tractor against the axle stop. Once on flat ground again everything leveled out again.

Again, not a normal practice and my hand definitely never left the joystick.

What surprised me is my reflexes were fast enough to out pace the F-22 jet fighter characteristics that overloaded tractors have. Maybe I should enlist with the Air Force?

Did I ever mention how much I love my forks?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -1125101556a-jpg  
    "Freedom is never more than one generation from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

Tractor
    none

Quote Originally Posted by rekees4300 View Post
    My friend you are preaching to the choir. I've posted many times about the dangers of FEL/slopes but many here just scoff. As they say "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink".
    I always thought it was: Horticulture, You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make her think.

As I said earlier I am a devote chicken. So I come to those who know and ask questions. My mom once told me my first words were "why and how" mama and dada came next.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4330HST

Welcome to TBN!

Ten Mile? Really? I used to live there (on the lake). Is the Mr. Twister still there?

Elite Member
    Tractor
    JD cut

I see the problem as cushioned/spring seats which let you get beyond the power curve before you know it. The danger signal is obscured by the suspension (and old age in some circumstances).

When the old metal seat bolted to the case started to move, your butt told you immediately that things were going badly.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 714151617