Do ROPS' work when UP? Do they work when folded?

/ Do ROPS' work when UP? Do they work when folded? #1  

beppington

Elite Member
Tractor
Here
1) Curious about peoples' experiences toppling over:
- Did your ROPS bend?
- Did you get hurt?
- Did you have your seat belt on?
- Do you feel it saved your life, or at least saved you from injury?

2) Do ROPS' work when folded down? My manual says "Fold the ROPS down only when absolutely necessary and fold it up and lock it again as soon as possible." ... but it doesn't say it won't actually work when folded down.

/ Do ROPS' work when UP? Do they work when folded? #2  
1) Curious about peoples' experiences toppling over:
- Did your ROPS bend?
- Did you get hurt?
- Did you have your seat belt on?
- Do you feel it saved your life, or at least saved you from injury?

2) Do ROPS' work when folded down? My manual says "Fold the ROPS down only when absolutely necessary and fold it up and lock it again as soon as possible." ... but it doesn't say it won't actually work when folded down.

Wondering if this question is asked, with tongue in cheek. Of course, they need to be in the up and locked position. They provide about as much protection when folded down as your seatbelt does retracted neatly. :D

/ Do ROPS' work when UP? Do they work when folded? #3  
Or as much protections as an unloaded gun.
As much warning as 4 way flashers turned off.
Or holding power of a parking brake not set.

Can't think of any more right off. :laughing::laughing:

/ Do ROPS' work when UP? Do they work when folded? #4  
Wondering if this question is asked, with tongue in cheek. Of course, they need to be in the up and locked position. They provide about as much protection when folded down as your seatbelt does retracted neatly. :D

I was thinking the same thing until I thought about where they fold. If the hinge point is a ways up, like at shoulder height or so, it would provide some protection.

/ Do ROPS' work when UP? Do they work when folded?
I was thinking the same thing until I thought about where they fold. If the hinge point is a ways up, like at shoulder height or so, it would provide some protection.

This is why I asked. Not tongue in cheek.

/ Do ROPS' work when UP? Do they work when folded? #6  
Sorry, Bep, sometimes my humor bone gets tickled.

The folding point is awfully low, regardless. The loss of the height would make the stubs fairly, no, very risky as to doing much. Further, there must be some engineering thought put into the structure of the ROP as an integral arch. Just two, disconnected "post stubs" would/couldn't provide the same strength.

Those manuals couldn't possibly cover every argument or question from the negative. They tell you what to do, not tell you what would/could happen if not done. I suspect that hoping the stubs provide some protection something most ROPS folded down operators might ponder.

/ Do ROPS' work when UP? Do they work when folded? #7  
I would not count on the ROPs doing any good when folded down other than not hitting your building if have a shorter opening.

/ Do ROPS' work when UP? Do they work when folded? #8  
I have seen a number of people using them folded down to a 90 degree angle with the top of the ROPS facing the back of the tractor. (a lot of guys with ZT mowers work with their ROPS that way.

Seem kinda self defeating to me. Besides, we are going to put our extra lights on the ROPS :thumbsup: so folding it down would aim them in the wrong direction

/ Do ROPS' work when UP? Do they work when folded? #9  
I'd say as much protection as an unloaded gun could be correct. There certainly is some protection from an unloaded gun, but I'd certainly fell better if there were some bullets.

/ Do ROPS' work when UP? Do they work when folded? #10  
I would suspect that they help some, because I would bet that a lot of the roll-overs are really fall overs. They only go 90 degrees instead of 180 or more. And if that is the case the ROPs even folded may be making it a little harder to go all the way upside down.
I frequently have mine down one notch. I am sure that is not as good as having them all the way up, but when I am going under limbs, the top of the ROPs in that configuration is just above my head. It reduce the chance of me catching limb or running into one. If I'm not ducking I'm probably ok. It also keeps me from hitting the top of the garage door.
I think in the manual it says if the ROPs aren't up, you should not have the seat belt on.