Man killed in tractor accident

/ Man killed in tractor accident #41  
Many/most tractors a) have more pull going forwards b) have more lift capacity on the 3pt than on the FEL.
It is a lot safer pulling from the drawbar than the FEL bucket.

A lot of this depends on what you are calling a "drawbar". A true drawbar attaches under the differential and has no lifting capability at all. It also is designed to help prevent overturns when making a hard pull.

The item which is attached to your 3-pt hitch with a tow ball on it is called a "towbar". While you have lifting capability with a towbar, you have no protection against rear overturns, and it is far more dangerous to attempt to pull a stump with a towbar than by pulling in reverse with the FEL.

If you keep the bucket low, I feel the only potential problems in pulling in reverse with the FEL is lower traction and damage to the FEL arms. If you have the bucket high, a forward tip over is a real possibility, but will end when the bucket hits the ground.

/ Man killed in tractor accident #42  
Many/most tractors a) have more pull going forwards b) have more lift capacity on the 3pt than on the FEL.
It is a lot safer pulling from the drawbar than the FEL bucket.

A lot of this depends on what you are calling a "drawbar". A true drawbar attaches under the differential and has no lifting capability at all. It also is designed to help prevent overturns when making a hard pull.

The item which is attached to your 3-pt hitch with a tow ball on it is called a "towbar". While you have lifting capability with a towbar, you have no protection against rear overturns, and it is far more dangerous to attempt to pull a stump with a towbar than by pulling in reverse with the FEL.

If you keep the bucket low, I feel the only potential problems in pulling in reverse with the FEL is lower traction and damage to the FEL arms. If you have the bucket high, a forward tip over is a real possibility, but will end when the bucket hits the ground.

That's what some of these guys probably thought also: YouTube - Tractor-Truck-Car CRASH VOL2

/ Man killed in tractor accident #44  
Don:

Exactly where in that YouTube slideshow is a picture of an overturn caused by pulling backwards with and FEL? I watched the first 3 minutes and did not see anything like that, but I did get bored with it. Can you please give me a timestamp where there is such an image?

Similarly, the thread referenced has a lot of argument about reaction times, but no pictures of an actual turnover caused by pulling from the FEL. Can you narrow this down a little for us by referring to a post number with the thread?

/ Man killed in tractor accident #45  
So far I haven't done anything other than remove a bit of paint from the bucket. I was going to have some clevis style hooks welded on the bucket for anchoring a chain I have. If I were to do some pulling going forwards I am guessing this would be what I would want?

DRAWBAR CLEVIS HOOK - Ford N Tractor Parts - Parts for Ford N Series Tractors, 8N, 2N, and 9N Series.

The primary reason I pull logs out with the FEL, is I like to keep the RC on the tractor and once we get the big stuff out we grind up all the sub 2 inch stuff and keep moving on. Makes a pretty nice path.

/ Man killed in tractor accident #46  
Don:

Exactly where in that YouTube slideshow is a picture of an overturn caused by pulling backwards with and FEL? I watched the first 3 minutes and did not see anything like that, but I did get bored with it. Can you please give me a timestamp where there is such an image?

Similarly, the thread referenced has a lot of argument about reaction times, but no pictures of an actual turnover caused by pulling from the FEL. Can you narrow this down a little for us by referring to a post number with the thread?
On that video, it was the dozer going over forward. The blade didn't stop it.
Pull any way you desire, just keep in mind 2 things.

1) It only takes 1 second to die from a flipover.

2) While you may be experienced in proper procedures, theres an awful lot of 'new' operators coming in here on a daily basis that have never operated equipment of any kind.

So to make a general statement of 'pulling with the bucket high', may not be in the best interest of all viewers of this forum.

/ Man killed in tractor accident #47  
I'm one of those "new operators" that you mention and I thank each and every one of you who may help keep my dumb asp alive.
I am planning on pulling some small stumps and downed trees out of the woods and after reading that news article about the falling tree.....:eek:
With that in mind have any of you made or bought a "limb deflector" (my term) to attach or go over your cockpit. Kinda like a "bimini top" on a boat?
maybe 1" tubing with cross bars and a plywood cover.....or....a plexiglass top from a junked firebird or camaro....something to deflect falling branches and limbs. Most likely a falling TREE would cancel your ticket.:ashamed:
Thanks for the input. Rob

/ Man killed in tractor accident #48  
I'm one of those "new operators" that you mention and I thank each and every one of you who may help keep my dumb asp alive.
I am planning on pulling some small stumps and downed trees out of the woods and after reading that news article about the falling tree.....:eek:
With that in mind have any of you made or bought a "limb deflector" (my term) to attach or go over your cockpit. Kinda like a "bimini top" on a boat?
maybe 1" tubing with cross bars and a plywood cover.....or....a plexiglass top from a junked firebird or camaro....something to deflect falling branches and limbs. Most likely a falling TREE would cancel your ticket.:ashamed:
Thanks for the input. Rob

Yep, we have one on our Massey Ferguson 375.

/ Man killed in tractor accident #49  
How did you build that? Anyone have any building ideas or sites to get one? I can envision attaching to the top of the ROPS and an arm brace going up each side.....would that get in the way climbing on and off the tractor? photos? instructions?

/ Man killed in tractor accident #50  
How did you build that? Anyone have any building ideas or sites to get one? I can envision attaching to the top of the ROPS and an arm brace going up each side.....would that get in the way climbing on and off the tractor? photos? instructions?

The one on our Massey Ferguson came off of an old Case belonging to a neighbor who didn't want it any more. They can be found in rural areas on old tractors or tractor salvage yards. We made a top for one of our Mules by taking a piece of sheet metal and bending it to fit. It doesn't look too good, but it keeps the limbs off your head.