Man killed in tractor accident

/ Man killed in tractor accident #1  

jml755

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 3600, diesel, Ford 755 TLB
From Detroit newspapers 10-27-10:
A 47-year-old township man was killed Tuesday when his Ford tractor flipped as he tried to pull a stump. Deputies from the Oakland County Sheriff痴 Office were called to the 55000 block of 8 Mile in Lyon Township at 1:15 p.m., according to investigators. The man was pronounced dead at the scene, Undersheriff Mike McCabe said in a news release. His name was not being released Tuesday afternoon. An Oakland County Sheriff痴 Office crash investigator is reviewing the accident.

------
will be interested to see the details if they are ever published. This is why I don't like to use my tractor to "pull" stuff. I bought a backhoe that I use to pull stumps. It's amazing how "stubborn" some stumps can be. Even a stump as small as 8" will lift my 19,000 lb TLB off the ground, if it's got a strong root system. Aso, "spades" that attach to a FEL are safer than hooking a chain to the rear of a tractor.

/ Man killed in tractor accident #2  
I use quick links as a safety when I pull stumps, and if it doesn't work out ... i burn them ...

gotta keep safe

/ Man killed in tractor accident #3  
What a terrible way to die, I hope his family has peace of mind knowing he went home to the Lord.

/ Man killed in tractor accident #5  
you know those threaded chain links (for joining chains) ... I size them so they would break before the chain/cable usually around a ton or so ... the cable or chain breaks at a much higher force, which could unsteady the tractor

5/16" or 3/8" works fine for me, and even then i can generally stop the tractor dead and spin the wheels before they break

Quick Link, 5⁄16 in. - 3511539 | Tractor Supply Company

/ Man killed in tractor accident #6  
From Detroit newspapers 10-27-10:
A 47-year-old township man was killed Tuesday when his Ford tractor flipped as he tried to pull a stump. Deputies from the Oakland County Sheriff痴 Office were called to the 55000 block of 8 Mile in Lyon Township at 1:15 p.m., according to investigators. The man was pronounced dead at the scene, Undersheriff Mike McCabe said in a news release. His name was not being released Tuesday afternoon. An Oakland County Sheriff痴 Office crash investigator is reviewing the accident.

------
will be interested to see the details if they are ever published. This is why I don't like to use my tractor to "pull" stuff. I bought a backhoe that I use to pull stumps. It's amazing how "stubborn" some stumps can be. Even a stump as small as 8" will lift my 19,000 lb TLB off the ground, if it's got a strong root system. Aso, "spades" that attach to a FEL are safer than hooking a chain to the rear of a tractor.

The National Ag Safety Database has an article with diagram showing a tree stump being pulled by a tractor. Height of chain influences movement of the center of gravity. This is where we get the 3/4 of a second on dry level ground to flip a tractor to the point of no return. Slope, ground conditions etc can accelerate this "much faster". Popping a clutch can really accelerate the process.
Tell your neighbors and friends to start spending some time on TBN and looking at these articles. It beats the **** out of going to a funeral.

/ Man killed in tractor accident #7  
Growing up we pulled a lot it things but Dad always made a point out of NOT using the 3PH to pull heavy stuff. How can one flip a Ford unless pulling from bar with the arms fully lifted?

I have seen the front wheels lift a little when pulling from the belly mounted hitch but with the hitch below the axle the downward force always won out because it would lift weight off the tires and they would spin.

/ Man killed in tractor accident #8  
The air ambulance landed on one of our fields to take a neighbour off for doing just this with a Fordson Major. The ROPS did its job and he 'only' suffered back injuries.

I once saw a moving model made by Harry Ferguson who pioneered the TPL as a marketing tool showing where the forces go when drawbar pulling and with a TPL. Fascinating, and how quick the backflip was.

J

/ Man killed in tractor accident #9  
Growing up we pulled a lot it things but Dad always made a point out of NOT using the 3PH to pull heavy stuff. How can one flip a Ford unless pulling from bar with the arms fully lifted?

I have seen the front wheels lift a little when pulling from the belly mounted hitch but with the hitch below the axle the downward force always won out because it would lift weight off the tires and they would spin.

That's exactly what the article states on the NASD site...keep everything very low.
Having said that...even if the 3pt arms are kept low and there is any kind of slope involved where the tractor is pointed uphill or surface conditions are not dry, or your tires have already dug in a little bit changing the angle of your pull...just a few degrees can ruin your day in a fraction of a second.

Because the center of gravity is high on these small machines it moves higher yet with ANY DEGREE OF SLOPE.
I think what we need to emphasize is that you don't see a lot of huge ag equipment causing a lot of deaths...it's the small tractors we operate that have a lot of power for such a high center of gravity...and we all know by experience that this bodes no good if we exceed it.

/ Man killed in tractor accident #10  
I knew one old guy who used to pass his chain under the rear of the tractor and hook it to the framework of his tractor near the front end. He pulled going forward. He said it kept the tractor from flipping.

I have never tried it ... I use a BH to get the stumps out.