Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    Ford 3600, diesel, Ford 755 TLB

Default Man killed in tractor accident

From Detroit newspapers 10-27-10:
    A 47-year-old township man was killed Tuesday when his Ford tractor flipped as he tried to pull a stump. Deputies from the Oakland County Sheriff痴 Office were called to the 55000 block of 8 Mile in Lyon Township at 1:15 p.m., according to investigators. The man was pronounced dead at the scene, Undersheriff Mike McCabe said in a news release. His name was not being released Tuesday afternoon. An Oakland County Sheriff痴 Office crash investigator is reviewing the accident.

------
    will be interested to see the details if they are ever published. This is why I don't like to use my tractor to "pull" stuff. I bought a backhoe that I use to pull stumps. It's amazing how "stubborn" some stumps can be. Even a stump as small as 8" will lift my 19,000 lb TLB off the ground, if it's got a strong root system. Aso, "spades" that attach to a FEL are safer than hooking a chain to the rear of a tractor.

Default Re: Man killed in tractor accident

I use quick links as a safety when I pull stumps, and if it doesn't work out ... i burn them ...

gotta keep safe

Tractor
    Rhino International 3224

What a terrible way to die, I hope his family has peace of mind knowing he went home to the Lord.
    A learned blockhead is a greater blockhead than an ignorant one.
    Benjamin Franklin

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by merrickvilleguy View Post
    I use quick links as a safety when I pull stumps, and if it doesn't work out ... i burn them ...

gotta keep safe
    Quick links ?
    ::Sent from a standard desktop keyboard::

My Photobucket

you know those threaded chain links (for joining chains) ... I size them so they would break before the chain/cable usually around a ton or so ... the cable or chain breaks at a much higher force, which could unsteady the tractor

5/16" or 3/8" works fine for me, and even then i can generally stop the tractor dead and spin the wheels before they break

Quick Link, 5⁄16 in. - 3511539 | Tractor Supply Company

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740 HST

Quote Originally Posted by jml755 View Post
    From Detroit newspapers 10-27-10:
    A 47-year-old township man was killed Tuesday when his Ford tractor flipped as he tried to pull a stump. Deputies from the Oakland County Sheriff痴 Office were called to the 55000 block of 8 Mile in Lyon Township at 1:15 p.m., according to investigators. The man was pronounced dead at the scene, Undersheriff Mike McCabe said in a news release. His name was not being released Tuesday afternoon. An Oakland County Sheriff痴 Office crash investigator is reviewing the accident.

------
    will be interested to see the details if they are ever published. This is why I don't like to use my tractor to "pull" stuff. I bought a backhoe that I use to pull stumps. It's amazing how "stubborn" some stumps can be. Even a stump as small as 8" will lift my 19,000 lb TLB off the ground, if it's got a strong root system. Aso, "spades" that attach to a FEL are safer than hooking a chain to the rear of a tractor.
    The National Ag Safety Database has an article with diagram showing a tree stump being pulled by a tractor. Height of chain influences movement of the center of gravity. This is where we get the 3/4 of a second on dry level ground to flip a tractor to the point of no return. Slope, ground conditions etc can accelerate this "much faster". Popping a clutch can really accelerate the process.
    Tell your neighbors and friends to start spending some time on TBN and looking at these articles. It beats the **** out of going to a funeral.
    Safety first!
    Proverbs 1:32
    "For the waywardness of the naive will kill them,And the complacency of fools will destroy them.
    Keep your ROPS up, your bucket low and plenty of weight to counter your FEL...

Elite Member
    Tractor
    265 MF / JD 310B Backhoe

Growing up we pulled a lot it things but Dad always made a point out of NOT using the 3PH to pull heavy stuff. How can one flip a Ford unless pulling from bar with the arms fully lifted?

I have seen the front wheels lift a little when pulling from the belly mounted hitch but with the hitch below the axle the downward force always won out because it would lift weight off the tires and they would spin.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B1750

The air ambulance landed on one of our fields to take a neighbour off for doing just this with a Fordson Major. The ROPS did its job and he 'only' suffered back injuries.

I once saw a moving model made by Harry Ferguson who pioneered the TPL as a marketing tool showing where the forces go when drawbar pulling and with a TPL. Fascinating, and how quick the backflip was.

J

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740 HST

Quote Originally Posted by Gale Hawkins View Post
    Growing up we pulled a lot it things but Dad always made a point out of NOT using the 3PH to pull heavy stuff. How can one flip a Ford unless pulling from bar with the arms fully lifted?

I have seen the front wheels lift a little when pulling from the belly mounted hitch but with the hitch below the axle the downward force always won out because it would lift weight off the tires and they would spin.
    That's exactly what the article states on the NASD site...keep everything very low.
    Having said that...even if the 3pt arms are kept low and there is any kind of slope involved where the tractor is pointed uphill or surface conditions are not dry, or your tires have already dug in a little bit changing the angle of your pull...just a few degrees can ruin your day in a fraction of a second.

Because the center of gravity is high on these small machines it moves higher yet with ANY DEGREE OF SLOPE.
    I think what we need to emphasize is that you don't see a lot of huge ag equipment causing a lot of deaths...it's the small tractors we operate that have a lot of power for such a high center of gravity...and we all know by experience that this bodes no good if we exceed it.
    Safety first!
    Proverbs 1:32
    "For the waywardness of the naive will kill them,And the complacency of fools will destroy them.
    Keep your ROPS up, your bucket low and plenty of weight to counter your FEL...

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D HST 4WD FEL/BH

I knew one old guy who used to pass his chain under the rear of the tractor and hook it to the framework of his tractor near the front end. He pulled going forward. He said it kept the tractor from flipping.

I have never tried it ... I use a BH to get the stumps out.
    New Holland Workmaster 45 2WD Gear
    Massey Ferguson 240
    New Holland TC40D HST 4WD
    NewHolland 16LA FEL
    Woods BH 70-X Sub-frame Backhoe
    Troybuilt Super Bronco w/42" mower
    Husqvarna DRT 900 Tiller
    Ariens 6.5 HP String Mower
    Husqvarna HU625WT String Mower

3 point hitch attachments:
    single plow, double plow, 5' & 6' deck mower, tiller, 2 cultivators, planter, fertilizer spreader, disk set, sprayer, and a few homemade attachments

30 acres, 15 acres, 5 acres

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast