Shut off engine to unhook/hook up?

/ Shut off engine to unhook/hook up? #1  

Mosey

Veteran Member
Tractor
2000 New Holland TC29D with 7308 FEL, and top & tilt. 1950 John Deere B. 1940 Farmall A.
After reading the post <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=safety&Number=206700&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=>Safe & correct attachment of implements to PTO</A>, I just have to ask this question? Do you always shut the tractor engine off when unhooking and hooking up implements? Be honest!

I don't. I lock the tractor brakes and unhook or hook up the implement. I usually have to raise/lower the 3pt to get things lined up, so the tractor needs to be running. I also have a hydraulic top link and the tractor needs to be running in order to adjust it to hook it up. I've never heard of a PTO magically shifting into gear on it's own! I don't allow anyone else near the tractor, especially kids, since they could accidentally move the lever.

/ Shut off engine to unhook/hook up? #2  
I never used to but after reading too many accidental deaths from people getting caught by a pto shaft I now shut the engine down when hooking up the pto shaft. I keep everything running if hooking up an implement that doesn't have a pto shaft. I've never heard of a pto engaging spontaneously either but just thinking about it coming on while I'm grabbing the pto shaft, dpressing the detent spring and twisting around trying to get it lined up and in place, is enough for me to shut things down.

/ Shut off engine to unhook/hook up? #3  
I leave mine running. Same as Danny, brakes locked etc. Maybe when I'm older and wiser I'll change my ways but right now I accept the relatively low risk /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Shut off engine to unhook/hook up? #4  
Don't some tractors engage PTOs electronically, with the flip of a switch (or am I imagining things /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif)? Like your 29D, my 25D has levers that have to be moved in order to engage either PTO. If I had electronic PTOs, I'd shut the engine off.

/ Shut off engine to unhook/hook up? #5  
I don't shut off the tractor (unless I do not want to listen to the thing run) when I hook up implements or attachments. I doubt very much the PTO will "suddenly" engage on its own, and also, do not have anyone else standing around the tractor when I am doing these things that might play with the PTO lever.

Anything I do with my tractor is many times safer in comparison to getting in my SUV daily and driving on the two lane highway separated from oncomming traffic only by the painted center line (relative speed of over 100 mph). I believe in working safe but not punishing myself with extra-curricular activities like turning the tractor off and carrying the keys in my pocket. But I have no problem with anyone who wants to do those things. Keeping active mentally and physically is important and such activities will likely help.

/ Shut off engine to unhook/hook up?
I didn't know there was such a thing as PTOs that engage electronically. I would shut the tractor off if I had one of those.

/ Shut off engine to unhook/hook up? #7  
<font color=green>Don't some tractors engage PTOs electronically, with the flip of a switch (or am I imagining things )? </font color=green>

If memory serves correctly, the Deere 4000 series does use a switch.

When I had the RFM, I'd leave the tracotor running & attach the three point hitch. Then shut it down for the PTO shaft.

With the MMM I rarely take it off, but when I do the tractor is off & On level ground, don't want it going anywhere when I'm underneath.

/ Shut off engine to unhook/hook up? #8  
Seriously; I do beleive, the tractor should be shut off. The key removed and placed in a pants pocket that has a hole in it. With this method all time will be spent looking for the key so one does not have to worry about tractor safety or a pto engaging. Of course the key will be found in a boot as one is removing them in the evening. Then it's all set to go for the next day.
Egon

/ Shut off engine to unhook/hook up? #9  
Untill it's worn out or dissconected the saftey switch in the seat of my MF 1215 will kill the engine if I'm not in the seat and it's in gear or if the PTO gets engaged. I can't even turn around too far in the seat or it will die.

/ Shut off engine to unhook/hook up? #10  
Hi,

Murphy's law for PTOs...

If it can happen it will! Why take the chance?

My tractor is turned off [always] and the key is in my pocket [sometimes]...

It is ALWAYS a good rule to minimize the chances of a bad thing happening.

Aw sh*t happens too guickly!

It pays to minimize the chances of an accident happening. At least that is the way I see it! To each his own I guess...

Bill in Pgh, PA