Took a slide today!

/ Took a slide today! #1  

Anonymous Poster

Hi,

I had an interesting experience today�ca learning experience actually�cI would like to share it! Actually caused me to post a tire-chain related post in owning/operating�c

here</font color=blue>

To make a short story shorter, I was coming down a short, not-that-steep slope, one that I had traveled many times before, and the tractor started sliding out of control. All ended well, BUT it could just as easily had been different, had the slope been longer, steeper or whatever.

The ground was wet and there were some fallen leaves. Actually was raining some as well. But I was still not expecting what happened. I had just got the tractor back from the dealer after a warrantee repair. I was moving VERY slowly. Just had started moving a few feet before the slope starts down. I forgot to check and see if the tractor was in 4WD. Had it been in 4WD I don't think the slide would have happened.

I will try to post a couple pictures. The first is from the top, looking down. Apparently, the left wheel started slipping and I did not think to hit the differential lock. Not sure if that would have helped anyway. After the slide started I immediately realized I was not in 4WD, but did not want to push the clutch in to try to engage it for fear of making things worse. I did try the brake, but that did not seem to make much difference.

Most amazing thing is that this slope is not that great! You can see that I stopped just before starting down the next little slope. After going into 4WD I proceeded normally.

Is there a message here? I think so. Watch out on slopes when it is wet! Even those you have traveled many time before!

Bill in Pgh, PA

Attachments

• 34-210813-TOPVIEW.JPG
    34-210813-TOPVIEW.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 385
   / Took a slide today!
Here is a second shot, from the side. You can see that the slope is really not much at all�c

Bill

Attachments

• 34-210814-SIDEVIEW.JPG
    34-210814-SIDEVIEW.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 299
   / Took a slide today!
PS,

Forgot to mention, that as I was sliding I was totally out of control...could not steer...could not stop...just waited until the I stopped...

Bill

/ Took a slide today! #4  
Bill,

Glad to hear that you were unhurt in this incident. It's amazing how slick some soils get when they get wet.

We have clay on our property. About 7 years ago we had a foundation poured for a new garage. The concrete form truck was parked in our back yard, which has only a very slight grade. We got rain....then some more rain...and a bit more. When they came to get their truck, it would barely move. They had to keep it there for a week until the ground dried enough. I was almost ready to assess a parking fee.

Funny thing, they really needed the forms on the truck for another job and had to lift them off with another form truck parked safely on our driveway.

Again, glad to hear you're unharmed. Chains should help.

Good Luck,

~Rick

/ Took a slide today! #5  
Leaves and wet ground sure can make a bad combo on a slope /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Also wondering..did you have any problems going back up the slope..good traction??

/ Took a slide today!
Hi,

<font color=blue>Also wondering..did you have any problems going back up the slope..good traction?? </font color=blue>

I didn't go back up. I was taking the tractor down to put it under roof. But I probably should have went back up, as a test to get the feel for what it will be like going up in snow...

After putting it in 4x4 it went down the next little section without any problem.

Bill

/ Took a slide today! #7  
I'm betting you got turf tires on that puppy. That's why I'm keeping my rice tires. A few cleat marks never hurt anything.

/ Took a slide today!
Wow, never happened to me yet, but just looking at it, I changed my drawers.
033102horror_1_prv.gif

Glad to see your ok and nothing was hurt! Thats the main thing!!
033102smiled_1_prv.gif

/ Took a slide today! #9  
A similar thing happened to me in my 4WD Pick up. There hadn't been any rain for days but it was this time of year and the ground was freezing every night and thawing in the day. We were clearing some under growth in a woods and had no trouble getting in in the morning but getting out for lunch was a slippery proposition! As with you - No harm no foul but the lesson is learned. Maybe plant some treated timbers across your slope and give it a little cord-o-roy for traction?

/ Took a slide today! #10  
Yikes. I'm glad I haven't had the urge to take mine out on the hill behind my place. You've seen it. My slide wouldn't be straight for very long. I'd go sideways and then... I'll skip that thought. I'm glad you posted this. I always go straight up or down that hill, but now I know I need to beware of soil moisture before even considering it!

Do you have the industrial tires? I forget.

- Gerald