Very close call

/ Very close call #1  

Will

Gold Member
Tractor
B2410HSD
I ran into the owner of the dealership I bought my Kubota from today. He'd been selling tractors for decades, but he is retired now. Kubota tractors, like the 57 HP model he was standing behind, aren't supposed to start while in gear, but this one did. It drove right over him. He's ok looking now, but he's got a fused spine and a bunch of other problems. After the tractor backed over him, it kept going, went through a chain link fence, crossed a road, crossed a small parking lot, and was almost at the bank before someone was able to stop it. I think the moral is that our tractors have all sorts of safety features, but you don't want to bet your life on any of them.

/ Very close call #2  
I am a little confused. Was he starting it up while standing on the ground or did someone else start it up?

/ Very close call
I'm confused too. I wanted to get the details straight, but I didn't want to ask him precisely how he managed to almost kill himself. Maybe he started the tractor while standing to the side and holding the clutch down with his hand? That way he'd "only" get run over by the front wheels. That does seem more plausible than if he were completely behind the tractor.