Ignoring safety warnings and bypassing safety devices

/ Ignoring safety warnings and bypassing safety devices #1  

Lightnsound

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7610
How many out there, like me, don't follow all the safety rules?

I don't believe that I am reckless, and I don't do things just to stick it to the man, but I do think that some safety devices/practices/rules are not for me. I consider the risk, and in some cases come to the conclusion that I am smart enough and mature enough to handle the risks. There's a good chance of me getting injured while on a leisurely motorcycle ride but I keep on riding.

I think that a lot of safety devices/rules/warnings are there because someone was dumb. I figure that I'm not the type of guy to toast an english muffin while taking a bubble bath, so the six warning labels in three languages on everything that plugs in annoys me.

I don't think the things I do are dumb. I pay attention. I am careful. I think about where I am, what I'm doing, and what's going on around me. There's no beer consumed until after the day's work is done and the machine is parked in the garage. I think some people need to be protected from themselves, but I don't believe that I am one of them.

Am I alone? Does anybody else feel and act this way? Do some like to think that they follow all the rules all the time, but sneak an infraction every now and then when no one is looking and not admit to it?

I'm not saying that I am right or saying that safety is silly, I'm just saying what I do. I'm not asking permission, and not trying to convince anyone to engage in what might be considered foolish behavior.

Things I've done (and in most cases probably will continue to do) and my justification for not following the warnings:

I don't use the chains that come with PTO shaft safety covers. They just seem to come loose, flail around, and eat the paint off of things.

I have bypassed the seat switch on my tractor. Trying to do the Houdini quick flip between the drivers seat and the backhoe seat without having to restart the machine is a pain in the posterior.

I've been known to step off the tractor while the MMM blades are still spinning. Only on the non discharge side, and only when the deck is lowered so it won't kick something at me and I can't get a toe under there.

I have no reservations welding on my ROPS. I've done a fair amount of welding and have yet to see a length of box tube fail because I welded on it. I don't think that welding on a few brackets to mount lights will alter the performance of the ROPS. I think the manufacturer will advise against it because it makes their life easier if they need to litigate in a lawsuit involving a rollover accident.

I take my toddler for rides around the yard on the tractor. Low throttle, no blades spinning or implements engaged, just a slow tour of the perimeter of the property. She sits on my left leg and I don't need my left foot or left hand to operate the machine. Throttle, brakes, and hydrostatic controls are all on the right side, so my left arm is dedicated to holding her on my lap.

I also occasionally swim just minutes after eating a sandwich, sit very close to the television, and read in poorly lit rooms.

I do always put the toilet seat back down. I'm no dummy.

And go.

/ Ignoring safety warnings and bypassing safety devices #2  
This should get no less than 30 posts:laughing:

/ Ignoring safety warnings and bypassing safety devices #3  
In today's world because people do the dumbest of things companies must protect themselves with safety labels. Things that you and others with common since would never do others will. Now if you wish to ignore the safety devices you also take on the responsibility if something goes wrong.
Carry passengers in the FEL bucket and run them over, and you will be charged with negligence.

/ Ignoring safety warnings and bypassing safety devices #4  
Don't let the lawyers see this post!! :cool: I agree that some of our so-called safety protections are way too stringent.. Reverse PTO disengaging is a major P.I.T.A. when you live in a lawn that you have to back up while mowing multiple times.. All it really accomplishes is burning out the PTO clutch.. :mad: Just because some dumb-*^$ spilled his beer and ran himself over backing up. I strongly suggest that if you do defeat safety's that you keep the keys out of little hand's reach or behind a locked door.

/ Ignoring safety warnings and bypassing safety devices #5  
My own personal rule of thumb is: There is about a 90% chance that any safety device or rule that didn't exist 40 years ago probably isn't necessary for someone with common sense. That doesn't mean I disable, bypass or ignore safety features and warnings. It does mean that I evaluate each situation on a case by case basis and make my own judgement about it.

Example 1: The seat sensor/engine cutoff on my 2520 is a pain in the neck sometimes, but in my own judgement, it is a valuable safety feature and I would not disable it.

Example 2: The reverse engine cutoff on my Mom's old JD Sabre lawn tractor (that I alone use) is something I have deemed exessive, stupid and unnecessary and it was disabled after the first time I had to use it.

/ Ignoring safety warnings and bypassing safety devices #6  
the first thing I do when I take delivery of a new tractor, attachment, mower, etc. is to take off all of the safety stickers! Then step back a take note how much better the equipment looks. Anyone else do this? And I'll admit, I had to (it was necessary) bypass my safety switch on one of my mowers. Most of my property is rough field and the thing kept cutting off each time I hit a bump! It took so long to get the job done, I could not take it any longer.

/ Ignoring safety warnings and bypassing safety devices #7  
Actively Thinking, using Common Sense...... AND TAKING PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS !!!!

What kind of crazy talk is that ? Do you know how many litigators would be out of work if most people still thought that way ? :thumbsup:

I'm on your side, believe me (I street ride bikes too), but responses vary all over the place, based in part on perceived risk levels, and what I'll call social conditioning and/or life experience.

One example - a mechanic I know has his boys (8 and 11) riding motocross competitively. Far from Dad pushing it.... the kids are really into what they do, have learned a lot (not just about racing, but life in general IMO), and are having FUN bigtime. A lady customer of his was trying to give him heck for having his kids in such a dangerous sport - he suggested that they compare the physical shape of their kids. He's plenty smart enough that he would NOT put an out of shape kid with poor reflexes on a fast race bike - her kid was the typical "stay in the house, play Nintendo, hang out on the internet, watch TV" pretty out of shape, overweight kid.

My buddy is not one to try and lord things over people, but when challenged, is definitely up for a debate. Perceived risk.... which kid is at greater risk... depends who you ask, but my vote is for the Nintendo kid.

But... trying to be objective (seriously) about this, you do have to keep the intended audience in mind. I've had a few conversations over the last year or so, about how most guys I knew growing up learned a lot about cars, while fixing up old beaters to drive. Many/most people nowadaze do NOT tinker with anything..... I'd say for many of those people, those stickers might be a good thing.

Actively Thinking, using Common Sense...... AND TAKING PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS !!!! Man... you can sure find some weird stuff on the Internet ! :shocked: Rgds, D.

/ Ignoring safety warnings and bypassing safety devices #8  

They have those little packets of stuff that are in with popcorn - they say "DO NOT EAT" all over them. Oh man, I want to eat one of them soooooo bad I can taste it...

JayC

/ Ignoring safety warnings and bypassing safety devices #9  
I installed a toggle switch to over ride the seat kill switch:confused2:.. When turning around in the seat to look at the cutter, box blade or whatever it cuts off.. Even when backing off the trailer I look backward to see the ramps. So i installed a simple switch to cut the seatswitch off for those times I need it off.. The rest of the time I leave it alone.. specially when cutting or tilling.. It was that or gain about 75lbs!!!

This is NOT AndyG but a imposter! :mad:

/ Ignoring safety warnings and bypassing safety devices #10  

Things I've done (and in most cases probably will continue to do) and my justification for not following the warnings:

I don't use the chains that come with PTO shaft safety covers. They just seem to come loose, flail around, and eat the paint off of things. I always use chains.

I have bypassed the seat switch on my tractor. Trying to do the Houdini quick flip between the drivers seat and the backhoe seat without having to restart the machine is a pain in the posterior. Never felt the need to, but we have older tractors without the switch and I don't worry about using them.

I've been known to step off the tractor while the MMM blades are still spinning. Only on the non discharge side, and only when the deck is lowered so it won't kick something at me and I can't get a toe under there. Not for me; too clumsy.

I have no reservations welding on my ROPS. I've done a fair amount of welding and have yet to see a length of box tube fail because I welded on it. I don't think that welding on a few brackets to mount lights will alter the performance of the ROPS. I think the manufacturer will advise against it because it makes their life easier if they need to litigate in a lawsuit involving a rollover accident. We have cut and welded on ROPS without any concern.

I take my toddler for rides around the yard on the tractor. Low throttle, no blades spinning or implements engaged, just a slow tour of the perimeter of the property. She sits on my left leg and I don't need my left foot or left hand to operate the machine. Throttle, brakes, and hydrostatic controls are all on the right side, so my left arm is dedicated to holding her on my lap. Yep done that and will continue to do so.

I also occasionally swim just minutes after eating a sandwich, sit very close to the television, and read in poorly lit rooms. Even better, I use to eat while still in the water and the others too.

I do always put the toilet seat back down. I'm no dummy. Yes, I may be careless, but I am not suicidal.

And go.

I had to park my Harley a couple of years ago, but I have ridden dirt and street since I was 17 and now I am 64, yes I have some road rash and stitches. I still ride an ATV. Some day I will be in a wheel chair, but I bet I can put a motor of some type on it.:laughing: