Bulldozer Falls Through Ice Killing Driver

/ Bulldozer Falls Through Ice Killing Driver #2  
This is very unfortunate, but what was he thinking?? How could he think that would be safe?

/ Bulldozer Falls Through Ice Killing Driver #3  
He could have hit a thin spot. That ice is probably 3 or 4 feet think in most places up there. If you haven't watched it take a look at the older Ice Road Truckers. They often haul up to 100 tons across the ice.

/ Bulldozer Falls Through Ice Killing Driver #4  
He could have hit a thin spot. That ice is probably 3 or 4 feet think in most places up there. If you haven't watched it take a look at the older Ice Road Truckers. They often haul up to 100 tons across the ice.

But shouldn't they have emergency training for just this if they work on ice? I guess if a truck falls through the ice, it really doesn't matter, they're screwed.

/ Bulldozer Falls Through Ice Killing Driver #5  
I think you have pretty well nailed what happened to the man. Cree Lake is a long ways north and the ice should have been safe at this time of year, so a thin spot is not only possible but probable. Here's a site with some information on what happens to a person when immersed in ice cold water.
Here's a map showing where Cree Lake is in Saskatchewan, about a quarter of the way down from the north border.
cansk1.gif

/ Bulldozer Falls Through Ice Killing Driver #6  
Many times it is not up to worker if he wishes to keep his job. You do what your told, if not, you are replaced. Sad but very, very, true during these hard times as I am sure they have plenty of applications for replacement workers.
Its been that way around here for years, and I am sure its the same elsewhere.

/ Bulldozer Falls Through Ice Killing Driver #7  
During WWII entire Russian and German armies fought battles on very big frozen lakes. That would have to be some thick ice to stand up to artillery fire, plus the weight of the armies.

I read it in a book, it must be true.

/ Bulldozer Falls Through Ice Killing Driver #8  
Moving drills on ice with Cats is common place. Unfortunately this person lost his life making a living and a hard one at that. Around here many of the drillers & helpers are farm kids as they stand up well to the long hours of hard work & are good with equipment. Sad day for many.

/ Bulldozer Falls Through Ice Killing Driver #9  
We had very unusual weather patterns in the north this year. The ice was probably much thinner than it had been in the past. I beleive it was only last year that a whole pile of equipment got trapped on the ice roads in northern Sask due to a very early thaw.

/ Bulldozer Falls Through Ice Killing Driver #10  
the bottom line is that it is all about the money.