Tractor related death

/ Tractor related death #1  

J_J

Super Star Member
Tractor
Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST
Tractor Overturns, Killing Fisherman

POSTED: Sunday, April 3, 2011

WALDO, Fla. -- A fisherman has died after his tractor overturned and pinned him underwater in central Florida.

Alachua County Sheriff's deputies said Jim Dowling drove his tractor to a canal to go fishing Thursday night. His wife went to the canal to jump start the tractor and found him trapped beneath it Friday.

Waldo Police said Dowling's license had been permanently revoked for multiple traffic violations. Dowling's wife said he'd been drinking.

/ Tractor related death #2  
sad story

I wonder if he used the boat to mow the grass

/ Tractor related death #3  
sad story

I wonder if he used the boat to mow the grass

as sad as the story is, I chuckled at that comment.

Out on our property, my great grandfather was doing some work (he was 80ish) and his wife hadn't heard from him so she went to check and found the tractor rolled over on him and crushed him. No hills really, just some ditches made to help property drain in areas. Momma tells me not to do anything on that tractor unless someone is there with me.

/ Tractor related death #4  
Sometimes Drinking and machinery just do not work out. We had several DUI drivers arrested while riding their mowers on the hwy. Probably to get another Beer? JY.

/ Tractor related death #5  
I know that canal ... in fact, I knew Jim Dowling. (not real well, but knew him and know others of the family)

I would not have driven any tractor that close to that canal as the sides and bottom are only mud. (That canal is not that far from where I live)

It did not surprise me to read the he had been drinking ...

/ Tractor related death #6  
I'm not amazed, but only because back on the farm my husband was always upsetting tractors. However, I am amazed to learn that it isn't just him doing it. Seriously, his father over turned a tractor, that crushed him and he bled to death -- so this is an important topic.

/ Tractor related death #8  
This story takes me back in time to the mid 70s. We were out in the sticks north of Sonningdale and passed by a group of people...RCMP, tow truck, lots of local...and a tractor in the ditch...and a bright yellow tarp over a body. Turns out one of the old farmers there used to take his tractor into town to the bar and on the way home, for whatever reason, he put it into the ditch and rolled it on himself. He'd lost his drivers license for DUI previously. Drinking and driving, eh?