Trauma kit (first aid going beyond what you can get at Wal-Mart)

/ Trauma kit (first aid going beyond what you can get at Wal-Mart) #1  

JD955SC

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 955
I was working with some of my fellow shooting enthusiasts to get some trauma/blow out kits put together for use when the unimaginable happens- you get shot or otherwise severely injured whether during a day at the range (like when the doofus three benches down who doesn't follow the basic safety rules ends up putting a round in you) or during a home invasion or other self defense scenario. The military issues such advanced first aid kits, and these things save lives.

And then I started thinking of all the stuff we do on a farm (using tractors, powerful tools, chainsaws, and so on) that could result in severe injury (like my grandfather who received a very deep cut while using a side grinder) that goes beyond what the basic first aid kits you can buy at the store cover (those are generally nothing more than boo-boo kits with bandages, gauze, tape, and similar misc items). And many of us, myself included, are far, far away from EMS.

So, basically, we're looking at stopping massive bleeding, deep puncture wounds, and such, and maybe keeping the airway clear. Get a tourniquet that can be applied one handed (such as the Combat Applications Tourniquet or a SOF-T tourniquet) (about $25-30 each), some good pressure bandages (such as the Isreali bandage, about $7 or so each). Applying a tourniquet isn't going to do harm (especially since we are mainly looking at staying alive long enough to reach the nearest hospital or until the EMTs arrive, it takes hours of tourniquet use to cause limb damage, strap it on and leave it for the hospital to deal with). Some good gauze to pack the wound and a good pressure bandage to apply constant pressure. You may opt to add a hemostatic agent like quickclot or celox to the kit. A "nose trumpet" airway device and some lubricating jelly in a pouch is also a cheap ($5 or so) option to add, just in case. Pack the stuff in a dedicated pouch and learn how to use it.

Various medical supply sites offer individual blow out kits for around $45 or so and are well worth a look.

Just something to think about (although I know how unpleasant it is to think about, but staying alive sometimes takes drastic measures). Google blow out kit or trauma kit and read up...

/ Trauma kit (first aid going beyond what you can get at Wal-Mart) #2  
Good post!!

I'll add something: There are certain tasks that should require two people. This is work such as operating a chain saw or chipping. That second person should act as the "first responder" in the event of an accident (even if the response is to call in help) as well as a helper to the task at hand.

/ Trauma kit (first aid going beyond what you can get at Wal-Mart) #3  
Hmmm. About time I put something like this together.

Aaron Z

/ Trauma kit (first aid going beyond what you can get at Wal-Mart) #4  
3M vetrap or whatever the human equivalent is.My gotto for big bleeds on animals worked superb on my own chainsaw cut.

/ Trauma kit (first aid going beyond what you can get at Wal-Mart) #5  
Trauma Kit, Large Tactical First Aid Kit Trauma Kit, Large Tactical First Aid Kit [285501] - $169.00 :: Colemans Military Surplus LLC - Your one-stop surplus store with Army/Navy products for hunting gear, camping gear, emergency products, and surviv

I think a larger tactical trauma kit would have you covered, the only thing missing is a back board.
I also think that getting people to know you are injured is a biggie.
When i cut trees i tell my wife to turn on one of the handheld radios we have (i keep one on me) and i take a really small air horn. I also let her know if she hears 3 blasts, im in trouble.

/ Trauma kit (first aid going beyond what you can get at Wal-Mart) #6  
JD955SC, I wounder if there would be enough intrest here to make up something that would be able to be carried on a tractor, atv, horseback, or trunk of a rig. Most units that are prodused are WAY Inadequate. :thumbsup:

/ Trauma kit (first aid going beyond what you can get at Wal-Mart)

That's not quite a real trauma kit...that's more of a large first aid kit in a camo pouch. Pretty much the only things in that kit that really apply to this situation are the "3 multi-trauma dressings", airways, medical shears and the "2 blood stopper kits".

Better source is someplace like Chinook Medical or Austere Provisions Company. They have the trauma kits with everything you need (and some more advanced stuff). For the $169 of that kit you showed, you can get one heck of a real trauma kit (with multiple tourniquets and lots of hemostatic agents like quickclot). Let me reemphasize this: forget about regular bandages, splint kits, bug bite medicine, burn medicine, and so on. That's boo-boo stuff you can get at WalMart and not critical to life or death. There is, however, one thing that is not usually included in the military kits you need to consider if you are allergic to bug bites- an epi pen.

The basic kit I have (the IFAK from Chinhook Med) costs about $45 (with out pouch), plus I added a couple more pressure bandages and some more gauze to pack a wound with. I almost forgot, add some trauma shears or a Benchmade Rescue Hook (I prefer the hook) to the kit.

Good post!!

I'll add something: There are certain tasks that should require two people. This is work such as operating a chain saw or chipping. That second person should act as the "first responder" in the event of an accident (even if the response is to call in help) as well as a helper to the task at hand.

I fully agree that you should have help when possible, and if not, then a check-in and comm system with somebody. The idea of a personal trauma kit is that it is for you and you alone, and your buddy (who should have his own) is supposed to use it on you if you cannot and vice versa.

JD955SC, I wounder if there would be enough intrest here to make up something that would be able to be carried on a tractor, atv, horseback, or trunk of a rig. Most units that are prodused are WAY Inadequate

There are kits already available at the sites I listed above, plus you can build your own from supplies available above. A lot of people prefer to put together their own.

I also think that getting people to know you are injured is a biggie.

Very much so. Reliable comms are a biggie. Test your comm setup regularly.

/ Trauma kit (first aid going beyond what you can get at Wal-Mart) #8  
Always good to be prepared. One extra bit of advice...make sure you understand exactly how to use those lifesaving devices. The "Israeli bandage" is great...when used properly. There's a technique behind wrapping it that even a few soldiers I've trained weren't aware of. Nasal devices are fine, when you know when to use them. The Combat Applications Tourniquet is also great, just familiarize yourself with how it works before you find yourself short an appendage. Hopefully, they don't still make the CAT with a plastic windlass rod...make sure it's metal. Nothing quite the downer as snapping off your windlass while you're bleeding out. Know when to use hemostatic agents, and when not to.

OK, down from the soapbox...sorry.

/ Trauma kit (first aid going beyond what you can get at Wal-Mart) #9  
You can build your own kit or what I tell my people is go to this website and order one of the Red Cross kits. I am in charge of a Team of people for the 1000 people in my building. We have a Sea container with supplies to help out. In all of my vehicles is a large first aid kit. Shock can kill a person just as much as a blood loss injury.
Store Home - Red Cross Store