Porta-power accident

/ Porta-power accident #1  

J_J

Super Star Member
Tractor
Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST
FLUID POWER SAFETY INSTITUTE™ - Safety Alert #14

Porta-power hydraulics.

10,000 psi capability, watch out. Now get this, they used black pipe for some of the fittings which are rated for 250 psi.

You just can't say, I have used it all year with no trouble.

/ Porta-power accident #2  
"The porta-power was not equipped with a pressure gauge"?? :confused: I have used these so much over the years in the body shop, I have worn several of them out. I have never seen one with a pressure gauge, nor would a gauge as illustrated, last very long in that kind of an environment. (< one day). A porta-power has a bypass valve which does a very good job of keeping you from overloading it, that should make a pressure gauge unnecessary anyway.

If someone had the wrong fitting on it I don't see how a pressure gauge would have helped, because they would not have expected the fitting to fail, and would have pumped it beyond the lower pressure anyway.

There is no substitute for training by an experienced operator with this kind of equipment.

/ Porta-power accident #3  
Unsaid in the article was if that 250 psi fitting was a cobble-job by the users or if the whole hydraulic system was a 3rd world knock-off made by people that didn't know any better.

BTW, I've seen those black pipe fittings used on 2200 psi tractor systems on TBN's "build it yourself" forum.

/ Porta-power accident #4  
BTW, I've seen those black pipe fittings used on 2200 psi tractor systems on TBN's "build it yourself" forum.

I too have seen that FAR TOO many times. Not just on TBN, but in the real world too. Some people just plain dont know any better. It is usually on older farm equipment too. Some fittings arent marked, but I have even seen ones marked "150swp/300wog" used on loader lift cylinder curcuits:confused2: It is a wonder there arent more accidents as a result.

Good rule to go by is...when in doubt, assume the fitting is only good for normal air pressure at best. NEVER used an un-identified and un-marked fitting in a hydraulic circuit. ESPECIALLY a 10,000PSI circuit:confused2:

/ Porta-power accident #6  
Wow...I better be careful with my porta-power...

Just take care of it and they are just as safe as any other tool in the shop.

Dont go throwing water-pipe fittings on that thing:confused2:

/ Porta-power accident #7  
...Dont go throwing water-pipe fittings on that thing:confused2:

Right up there with using plastic pipe for compressed air, wiring with zip cord, ignoring graded bolts, etc...

Don't get "pressure gauge" logic...has relief valve and all components rated higher. No value in watching gauge to learn at what pressure jerry-rigged component fails...rather repair w/rated components and keep eyes on work...

/ Porta-power accident #8  
Just take care of it and they are just as safe as any other tool in the shop.

Dont go throwing water-pipe fittings on that thing:confused2:

I will...Just replaced the oil recently...Although, once when I was using it one of the spreader jaws broke off. It's from HF, so that may be why. :mad:

I'll never use water pipe fittings. :confused2:

/ Porta-power accident #9  
Porta -power is new thinks to me.. I am unknown about this concept. Thanks for the sharing this knowledge..