Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Gold Member JakeBrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    256
    Location
    Central Mississippi
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830

    Default Broken Ankle

    I was at the tree farm alone Wednesday afternoon to do a little TSI (timber stand improvement). I drove my truck to the end of the driveable part of a log road. At that point the road begins a steep descent with a large erosion rut in the middle of the road. I prepared my chainsaw (fortunately it was off) and walked down the road on the edge of the rut. With absolutely no warning I slipped into the rut and snapped my right ankle. I lay there for a few minutes and tried to stand up. At the time I did not know my ankle was broken. I was wearing heavy Redwing boots which held my foot in position. I realized I could not walk so I crawled about 100 yards on hand and knees, chainsaw in hand, to my truck. I had my cellphone, but I was under the delusion that If I could get to my truck I could drive the 40 miles to my home and then go to Big City ER. When I got in my truck and tried to drive, I knew I could not go home, so I drove to a community hospital with an ER about 5 miles away. at the community hospital ER they took some X-rays and confirmed that the ankle was both broken and dislocated.The ER doctor asked me if I knew a good orthopedic surgeon. Fortunately (or unfortunately) I do know a good orthopedic surgeon because I was laid up for 3 months in 2004 after an auto accident. The ER doctor called my orthopedic surgeon who said I should meet him at Big City ER ASAP. My orthopedic surgeon said it was imperative to get the ankle joint back in its proper position or the bone pressing against the skin and nerves would cause serious complications. My wife was at home an hour's drive away and it would have taken another hour to get me to Big City ER. So the community hospital personnnel placed a temporary splint on my ankle and put me on an ambulance to Big City ER.

    At Big City ER my orthopedic surgeon took more X-rays. injected pain killer into the joint and repositioned the joint. He said if he had not been able to reposition the joint, he would have had to perform emergency surgery immediately. He then installed another temporary splint and sent me home.

    Next week I will go in for surgery involving stainless steel pins, screws, and plates.

    I don't know what the safety message is here. Use the buddy system? Stay out of the woods? Stay away from the rut? Buy even heavier boots with cleats?

  2. #2
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    12,009
    Location
    Upper Midwest USA
    Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X485 JD 4x2 Gator, JD 425, JD455

    Default Re: Broken Ankle

    Good that you are getting fixed up. Don't know of a message either, other than one can prolly not be safe sitting in the rockin chair either.

    Could give you similar advice our safety committee wrote on the safety report of a fellow searching through a storm-damaged house and had stepped on a nail.
    The recommendation on the report said "to step to the right or the left of the nail"
    But I won't insult your intelligence with that advice.

  3. #3
    Super Star Member RoyJackson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    18,743
    Location
    Bethel, Vermont
    Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

    Default Re: Broken Ankle

    Boy, two pretty nasty accidents reported on TBN today (this one and jay4200's chain saw incident).

    The only thing I always recommend is the buddy system with any rural work.

    After I had my stroke (1999), I was in rehab. My room mate had been working with his son clearing brush and limbs. One came down and hit him in the back of the neck which resulted in partial paralysis (which turned out to be permanent...he wasn't going to be walking without assistance ever again).
    Anyway, if his boy hadn't been there (and a local resident with a cell phone), he probably wouldn't have gotten out of those woods alive.
    So, you go into a rural or isolated area to work...have a buddy with you!
    Roy Jackson

    "Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

  4. #4
    Elite Member CurlyDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    4,116
    Location
    Grants Pass, OR
    Tractor
    JD TLB 110

    Default Re: Broken Ankle

    Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    ...So, you go into a rural or isolated area to work...have a buddy with you!
    And, make certain your buddy understands that there is safety in separation. I have been in the woods with a lot of people who think that they have to stand right next to me for social reasons. At least 10-15' of clearance means the same tree won't fall on both of us, we won't both fall in the same hole, and if one trips & falls he won't bring the other down with him.
    40 Acres on a hill - fantastic view. JD 110 TLB, 4-n-1, 12" bucket, 18" bucket, Addington thumb, rock bucket (doubles as root grapple)

    Not only do we not understand the universe, if someone explained it to us, we would not know what he was talking about.

    Isaac Asimov

  5. #5
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,711
    Location
    Caldwell Co. NC
    Tractor
    2006 Kama554; 92 Belarus 250AS

    Default Re: Broken Ankle

    A cell phone is good to have, especially if there is service where you are working/playing/hunting...
    2006 Kama 554, 92 Belarus 250AS, Bombardier Outlander Max 400.

  6. #6
    Platinum Member Army grunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    792
    Location
    Georga
    Tractor
    TC 30 Newholland

    Default Re: Broken Ankle

    Was it a JakeBrake???!!!!
    Its a way of using the compression of the engine on big rigs to slow the truck with ought using the brakes. It makes a loud popping noise. Like backfiring. Its outlawed within most city limits for that reason
    Army Grunt.
    "Be who you are, say what you will, those that matter wont mind, those that mind don't matter".

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    16
    Location
    Northern NY

    Default Re: Broken Ankle

    Quote Originally Posted by kubotafan View Post
    Was it a JakeBrake???!!!!
    Now that's funny right there! As soon I read it I started to laugh! Some will get it....most will not!

    Sorry about your ankle. Maybe if you stayed home, watched TV and drank beer it would not have happened??? I don't care how careful you are "stuff" can and will happen!

  8. #8
    Super Star Member Egon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    17,729
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada

    Default Re: Broken Ankle

    Stuff happens. Turning an ankle is easy to do and happens rather quickly.

    Heal fast and well.
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

  9. #9
    Super Member JB4310's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,645
    Location
    Central CT
    Tractor
    J.D. 4310 E-hydro

    Default Re: Broken Ankle

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad_Blazer View Post
    A cell phone is good to have, especially if there is service where you are working/playing/hunting...
    Can't always have a buddy, but cell phones have got alot of people out of trouble. I know little old ladies who carry there's around the house, down the basement, for the "I've fallen and can't get up" scenario.

    Bet that ankle swelled up like a balloon.

    JB.
    JD 4310; E hydro, 300CX, 48 BH, 60" box, 72" rake, 72" rear blade, cast pallet forks, 48", 61"HD & 73" high volume bucket.
    FORD 1700; 2 WD, 2600 hrs.
    JD 320; Hydra lift, 48" deck and 48" snow blade.
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500, Cummins 6.7L, Aisin 6 speed, 9ft utility body.

  10. #10
    Gold Member JakeBrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    256
    Location
    Central Mississippi
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830

    Default Re: Broken Ankle

    Quote Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
    I was at the tree farm alone Wednesday afternoon to do a little TSI (timber stand improvement). I drove my truck to the end of the driveable part of a log road. At that point the road begins a steep descent with a large erosion rut in the middle of the road. I prepared my chainsaw (fortunately it was off) and walked down the road on the edge of the rut. With absolutely no warning I slipped into the rut and snapped my right ankle. I lay there for a few minutes and tried to stand up. At the time I did not know my ankle was broken. I was wearing heavy Redwing boots which held my foot in position. I realized I could not walk so I crawled about 100 yards on hand and knees, chainsaw in hand, to my truck. I had my cellphone, but I was under the delusion that If I could get to my truck I could drive the 40 miles to my home and then go to Big City ER. When I got in my truck and tried to drive, I knew I could not go home, so I drove to a community hospital with an ER about 5 miles away. at the community hospital ER they took some X-rays and confirmed that the ankle was both broken and dislocated.The ER doctor asked me if I knew a good orthopedic surgeon. Fortunately (or unfortunately) I do know a good orthopedic surgeon because I was laid up for 3 months in 2004 after an auto accident. The ER doctor called my orthopedic surgeon who said I should meet him at Big City ER ASAP. My orthopedic surgeon said it was imperative to get the ankle joint back in its proper position or the bone pressing against the skin and nerves would cause serious complications. My wife was at home an hour's drive away and it would have taken another hour to get me to Big City ER. So the community hospital personnnel placed a temporary splint on my ankle and put me on an ambulance to Big City ER.

    At Big City ER my orthopedic surgeon took more X-rays. injected pain killer into the joint and repositioned the joint. He said if he had not been able to reposition the joint, he would have had to perform emergency surgery immediately. He then installed another temporary splint and sent me home.

    Next week I will go in for surgery involving stainless steel pins, screws, and plates.

    I don't know what the safety message is here. Use the buddy system? Stay out of the woods? Stay away from the rut? Buy even heavier boots with cleats?
    UPDATE. This is a picture of my "air boot" which I have to wear whenever I am on my feet until my next appointment on June 10, 2011. Hopefully, Doc will declare me cured at that time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dsc_0365-jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What is Kubota doing about the broken plastic fenders?
    By Mike_V in forum Kubota Owning/Operating
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 09-19-2007, 11:04 PM
  2. Broken Steering Knuckle in the Woods
    By 3RRL in forum Parts/Repairs
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-20-2006, 04:05 PM
  3. problem with broken off bolt
    By Fireman_dcb in forum Build-It Yourself
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-04-2006, 02:01 AM
  4. Photos of Broken Bucket Holder on 400X Loader
    By Sadler in forum John Deere Owning/Operating
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-25-2005, 01:06 PM
  5. B7200 Broken steering arm advice
    By SamR in forum Kubota Owning/Operating
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-02-2000, 10:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.