Tiltmeters-Why Not?

/ Tiltmeters-Why Not? #1  

bpence

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7100 HST - 1995
Curiosity has gotten the best of me.

I'm really struggling with why someone would NOT want a tiltmeter on a tractor, especially a new tractor. Maybe there are valid reasons that I have not thought through completely or things I've overlooked.

Being a safety fanatic, I'm interested in this. I promise not to preach tiltmeter safety or become holier than thou over this question. I'm just really interested in why someone would not want a tiltmeter on their tractor.

Bob Pence

/ Tiltmeters-Why Not? #2  
I'm not really sure if there is a logical reason for not wanting one other than if an owner thinks he/she will never operate on a slope... but for $38, why not be prepared just in case?

msig.gif

/ Tiltmeters-Why Not? #3  
Well, I don't have one, don't need one, don't want one. I know they are very popular with people here, and the last time I checked the poll I was in the minority. I don't have any steep grades here on my place. Before I use it on a job I check it ahead of time. If it has a slope I feel uncomfortable about, I just say no thanks. For some people who have to work slopes, they might be useful. I just can't see buying something, thats probably going to be in the way, and more than likely get torn off.
ErnieB

/ Tiltmeters-Why Not? #4  
Whoa! Bet I catch it over this one, but... I kind of agree with Ernie. If I'm not comfortable with the way the tractor is behaving I bail for a new tact. Seems like the tiltmeter could give a false sense of security. I see the rollover as a sudden event, tire drops in a hole, blade catches a rock, whatever. Tiltmeter shows 10 degrees then 90 or 180. Watching/feeling what is happening rather than an eyeball on the meter seems more prudent.

On the flip side I don't see what it hurts. I sure have less useful things on my Farmall (model A AHOOOOGA Horn)

/ Tiltmeters-Why Not? #5  
I haven't seen any advertised around here - where's the best place to get one?

Scott

/ Tiltmeters-Why Not? #6  
Scott,

Call Rick @ R&B Mfg for tiltmeters ... (816)587-9814 ... mention TractorByNet.com for a discount. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

msig.gif

/ Tiltmeters-Why Not? #7  
Scott, if you'd like to look at a little more information before calling Rick, try his web site at http://www.tiltmeter.com. And if ErnieB and Twinkle Toes don't want one, that's fine; whatever they prefer, but I like mine; both side to side and front to rear; just gives me a little more information I wouldn't have otherwise.

Bird

/ Tiltmeters-Why Not? #8  
Ernieb, and twinkle toes,
Just how open minded are you guys????? Tell you what I
would like to do, IF You will both be honest and fair. First, I
do not expect everyone to want or even need a meter.
However, I started this company, not to get rich. If
anything, I make less now and work more that I ever did.
I started it because I saw a need for the product. I speak
from years of experience working for the highway dept.
True, if it looks too steep, stay off the slope. However I and
apparently many posters here have been fooled by what
they saw as too steep. Rain run off, weeds taller at bottom
of slope, trees growing at an angle. All optical illusions,
sometimes. Many here stated they were suprised when they
got their meter-just how steep a few places were. And some
were not as steep as believed. Again, not everyone needs
or wants one. Fair enough. How about you send me by Email
your address. I will send you a tiltmeter to test, and all I
ask is that you give it a fair test. DO NOT PUSH YOUR LUCK!!!
I will not be responsible if you exceed the limit. What is the
limit????? You tell me. You feel you know what is safe. OK by
me. If you give the meter a fair shake, and still feel it is not
to your liking, I will eat crow. Will You????? Also, can you
honestly say that a neighbor, a wife,or one of your kids will
never be on your tractor? I can't. It only takes once.
I'm not trying to be a @!^%$*& about this. I honestly am not.
I apologize if it sounds that way. Can you eye ball a hillside
your cutting down, for whatever reason, and keep it uniform
all the way across, so you don't have washouts? Can you
keep a pond dam you are dressing up uniform? Can you cut a
new road bed, and make it with a slight slope to allow run-off
but not too much to cause it to wash? Your a better man
than I if you can. A tiltmeter is not just a safety device.
How about it? Want to try a meter, and post here your
HONEST OPINION.????? Am I opening myself up for probable
criticism, that I may not get an honest answer from your test?
Possibly. But I am trying to be fair. That is all I ask of you.
My email address is ; RandBMfgInc@worldnet.att.net
Sincerely,Rick

Rick Hedgecock
R&B Manufacturing
http://www.tiltmeter.com
(816)587-9814

/ Tiltmeters-Why Not? #9  
Rick - I think the only folks likely to call your offer "unfair" would be your competition. If you had any, that is. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I believe the guys here on this forum are honest enough that you can get away with an offer like that here, but I wouldn't extend it to the general public. To quote you: "Don't push your luck."

You've got a great product, and the only reason I can think of to not have one on every single tractor sold is the cost - and that's so low compared to the tractors themselves that I don't think it's a valid argument.

MarkC
ChalkleySig2.gif

/ Tiltmeters-Why Not? #10  
The idea of these meters may or may not be a good idea, I think they will tell you when you should be rolling over, but what bothers me is reading this thread and it is an ad to sale samething. I think the guy trying to sell something should buy an ad and not try to scare people into buying with the idea if you do not have one you will fall off a slope. What a joke!!!
Dan L