Ear Protection

/ Ear Protection #11  
But when operating it is a lot better to hear what is going on with the equipment and your surroundings.
Well I guess there is a "catch 22" to that statement. Yes,you want to be able to hear that "wrong" noise,but protecting your hearing is more important. I have tinnitus in both ears,and I have to take every precaution possible. There is no way in ****,I can have my 2520 and 62D at full song with nothing on my ears. That would be shear stupidity on my part.

Actually,even with the muffs on and the radio loud enough to comfortably listen to the music,I can still hear the tractor. It's really muffled,but for the most part,I can hear what's going on.

Greg

/ Ear Protection #12  
I also have been disappointed with the Peltor Worktunes digital model. Very poor FM reception which changes with head position. Instead of fiddling with the radio, I usually hook up MP3 player which plays through the Peltor.

/ Ear Protection #13  
My suggestion will be more expensive, but with it you can hear your music while still hearing your machine's mechanical noise. Here's the link:

QuietComfort 15 - Noise Cancelling Headphones - Bose Headsets and Headphones

I bought these to cancel out screaming toddlers on airplane flights, but found they are fantastic music phones to boot. On top of that they do attenuate the sound of a tractor or mower, but you can still hear what's going on around you while hearing super tunes. You'll still need to provide a music source (I use my Blackberry to stream music from Pandora), but this setup improves my enjoyment of "seat time".

PH

/ Ear Protection #14  
Have used an older style Peltor Worktunes headset for several years; it's been OK but has all the limitations others have mentioned. Still working though.

Recently got the Ryobi TEK4 headset from Home Depot. Active noise suppression + adjustable voice amplification works very well. Filters out engine drone but lets you hear voices and other sounds at a preferred volume. Input for MP3 brings in music while not losing ability to hear voices and such. Also use it around the workshop where it's great with tablesaw, router and other noisy machinery. It's definitely a step up from the Worktune headset. 4 year old grandson wore it to the monster truck show and now thinks it's his!

/ Ear Protection #15  
I use these as an alternative to ear muffs.

CR1 Custom Recreational Earphone
CR1.jpg

Custom Recreational Earphone for the active lifestyle!

For active individuals who love their music and want to upgrade from stock stereo earbuds. Perfect for travel, exercise, or motorsports (not recommended for on-road use), the CR-1 is driven by a set of high quality drivers in a pair of full shell clear custom earpieces. Compatible with virtually any personal audio devices including iPod, CD, DVD, and MP3 players, with a 50-inch hardwired black cable and 3.5mm stereo plug.

And, I have both but just as good but a little less costly than the Bose is the Able Planet Noise Canceling Muffs.

Jack